• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fixing Persistent Spell (Improved Extend Spell)

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Improved Extend Spell (Metamagic)

Prerequisite: Extend Spell

Benefit: An spell affected by Improved Extended Spell has its duration increased to the next order of magnitude as shown in the following chart. A spell with a duration of concentration, instantaneous, or permanent is not affected by this feat. A spell's duration may not be extended beyond 24 hours. An improved extended spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell's actual level.

1r/cl-->1m/cl
1m/cl-->10m/cl
10m/cl-->1hr/cl

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
The problem I have is the jump from 1 hour/level to 1 day/level. That's an increase of twenty-four times! Otherwise, everything else is between 6-10. Well, okay, 1 week/level to 1 month/level is only an increase of four times, but then 1 month/level is for all intents and purposes truly persistent.

Elephant

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
The problem I have is the jump from 1 hour/level to 1 day/level. That's an increase of twenty-four times! Otherwise, everything else is between 6-10. Well, okay, 1 week/level to 1 month/level is only an increase of four times, but then 1 month/level is for all intents and purposes truly persistent.

Perhaps a line needs to be added:

1hr/cl-->10hrs/cl

And change the hr->day progression to

10hrs/cl-->1day/cl

:)

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Actually, you read my mind. The 1hr/cl-->10hr/cl is a good idea.

However, I think I just came up with a better alternative...see intial post for details.

FireLance

Legend
I've been considering a feat along these lines as well, but is +4 levels a bit too much? I was thinking +2 levels would be enough, especially if you could only apply it once to a spell.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
FireLance said:
I've been considering a feat along these lines as well, but is +4 levels a bit too much? I was thinking +2 levels would be enough, especially if you could only apply it once to a spell.

No idea. I just picked a ballpark number since this feat can apply to any spell, not just personal range ones. So an improved extended bull's strength would last 10m/cl and be 6th level. IE Shield of Faith would be the same and 5th level. IE Divine Power is 8th level and 1m/cl.

I'm also be wary of the summon spells, attack spells and status altering spells. (IE hold person comes to mind.)

Also, I chose +4 because you can stack it with extend spell to get even more duration.

I think the best spell would probably be a IE and normal extended divine favor (L6, lasts 20m.)

robberbaron

First Post
Elephant said:
Perhaps a line needs to be added:

1hr/cl-->10hrs/cl

And change the hr->day progression to

10hrs/cl-->1day/cl

:)

In my campaign I dealt with it this way:
Durations in multiples of
rounds -> minutes
minutes -> 5 minutes
10 minutes -> hours
hours -> 6 hours
days -> weeks

Last edited:

Yair

Community Supporter
Errgg... if we are to *aim* for a ~x6 increase, why not just *give* one? Perhaps...

Improved Extend Spell [Metamagic]
Requsite: Extend Spell
Benefit: A spell affected by Improved Extended Spell has its duration increased to five times its normal duration. This duration supercedes (does not stack) with the duration increase from Extend Spell. You may only improve extend a spell if you may extend it. An improved extended spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Last edited:

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Yair said:
Errgg... if we are to *aim* for a ~x6 increase, why not just *give* one? Perhaps...

Improved Extend Spell [Metamagic]
*snip*.

Because that is not what my version of the feat does. Changing Divine Power from 1r/cl to 1m/cl is not a five-fold increase, it's a ten-fold increase.

1r/cl-->1m/cl is x10
1m/cl-->10m/cl is x10
But 10m/cl-->1hr/cl is x6

I prefer this because it is simpler to visualize than getting a mathematically correct increased duration.

Also, creating a feat that makes a x3, x4, or x5 duration kind of defeats to purpose of the unstackable nature of metamagic feats in 3.5e. I'd rather just have two feats, Extend Spell and Improved Extend Spell, that cap out at 24 hours. I really don't like the idea of spells lasting for days without some sort of major drawback. (IMC, I lowered deeper darkness and its ilk to 1hr/cl).

Yair

Community Supporter
ConcreteBuddha said:
Because that is not what my version of the feat does. Changing Divine Power from 1r/cl to 1m/cl is not a five-fold increase, it's a ten-fold increase.

1r/cl-->1m/cl is x10
1m/cl-->10m/cl is x10
But 10m/cl-->1hr/cl is x6

I prefer this because it is simpler to visualize than getting a mathematically correct increased duration.

Also, creating a feat that makes a x3, x4, or x5 duration kind of defeats to purpose of the unstackable nature of metamagic feats in 3.5e. I'd rather just have two feats, Extend Spell and Improved Extend Spell, that cap out at 24 hours. I really don't like the idea of spells lasting for days without some sort of major drawback. (IMC, I lowered deeper darkness and its ilk to 1hr/cl).
I suppose it is a matter of taste. I prefer a multiplication by a simple number (x2, x5, or x10) to a table, no matter how simple. And I don't mind the long durations.
But I see your point - my version just doesn't do what you want the feat to do. Oh well. Just throw my 2 cents to some charity or something. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads