• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fire archomental

Cleon

Legend
Shouldn't it have darkvision like a regular Fire Elemental?

Despite it being pointless due to its Illumination trait.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
I dunno how I forgot to adjust its to hit add. ok go with STR and +12 as it does bludgeoning damage as well so makes more sense to me. Re darkvision I guess so...

Also - : if I tweak the Firefist to 26 (6d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage plus 35 (10d6) fire damage = 61 x 3 = 182...close enough?

Fireball does 52 currently - is that ok for AoE then?

Cleon

Legend
I dunno how I forgot to adjust its to hit add. ok go with STR and +12 as it does bludgeoning damage as well so makes more sense to me. Re darkvision I guess so...

Also - : if I tweak the Firefist to 26 (6d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage plus 35 (10d6) fire damage = 61 x 3 = 182...close enough?

Well 182 is between 159 and 194 so it should be fine.

Fireball does 52 currently - is that ok for AoE then?

That's a bit low.

AoE attacks assume two targets are hit, so you want the average to be within half of the above range.

That'd normally require 90 damage, however the attack does half damage on a miss so I think it should be two-thirds of that or one-third the above DPR range (so within the range 53 to 64).

Which suggests 56 (16d6) to 63 (18d6) for the Fireball.

Cleon

Legend
The Incandescent Bolt damage needs tweaking.

How about it can use bolts as well as fists with its Multiattack, and have the Bolts do 28 (8d6) fire plus 28 (8d6) force?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
wording of multiattack is now:

"Multiattack. The fire archomental makes three attacks with any combination of firefists and incandescent bolts."

Struck me that the legendary action smoke cloud is a bit weak at 2d10 damage...?

Cleon

Legend
Struck me that the legendary action smoke cloud is a bit weak at 2d10 damage...?

So long as its total DPR is within the target range for our desired Challenge Rating it works for me.

If we're aiming for CR 23 and leave everything else unchanged it needs a DPR of 159 to 194, so if it does 2d10 per smoke cloud AND can use it three times per round, that's potentially 66 damage (11 per cloud, doubled for being an AoE) which leaves a maximum of 128 divided between the Multiattack for 42 damage per attack.

That seems a little weak.

Maybe it should only be able to use Smoke Cloud once per round? After all, the targets cannot choke on smoke more than once at any given time.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
makes sense. It costs 2 legendary actions as is so can only be used once a round anyway. Maybe it has a choking component somehow. as is then the 2d10 slots in over the multiattack to make it at higher end of damage range.

DC19 DEX or INT save or cough (incapacitated) for 1 round?

Cleon

Legend
makes sense. It costs 2 legendary actions as is so can only be used once a round anyway. Maybe it has a choking component somehow. as is then the 2d10 slots in over the multiattack to make it at higher end of damage range.

DC19 DEX or INT save or cough (incapacitated) for 1 round?

If it's two Legendary Actions then it can only use it once which means it adds 22 to the DPR, so subtracting that from the aforementioned 159 to 194 range that means a triple Multiattack needs to do between 46 and 57 damage per attack.

Remove ads