• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Find Familiar, the Alert feat, and the loss of the fly-by Owl.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I've always hated he way the find familiar spell gets abused for situations exactly as described in the OP,
Genuine question: where's the "abuse"?
I've outlined four ways the rules appear to interact, and outlined pros and cons of each.

And the "situations" described are a Rogue wanting to use Sneak Attack. Is that what you hate?
so I can't say that I am sad about the changes.
I'm not sad either. In fact, I think the changes are good because I see all four of the sequences above as more-or-less balanced: each has a meaningful opportunity cost.

I also hate that familiars are more ubiquitous in the 2024 rules. Familiars are a pain in the butt,
or: "part of the game since AD&D"
unbalanced,
if so, please explain. Saying doesn't make it so.
and allow players to hog the mic.
aren't players supposed to hog the mic on their turn?

Fortunately, you can just ban the spell in games you run!

Most of us will be seeing characters choosing the spell. I'm trying to understand (anticipate) what the new rules will say. What I'm seeing is something that's considerably dialled back from the fly-by owl that I've seen become standard in 5e. I like that there will be more variation in the use of familiars, I am not convinced that they will be more ubiquitous, in part because they will be more vulnerable in combat.

Clint_L

Hero
Genuine question: where's the "abuse"?
I've outlined four ways the rules appear to interact, and outlined pros and cons of each.

And the "situations" described are a Rogue wanting to use Sneak Attack. Is that what you hate?
Yes, among other things, but that is the most common.
I'm not sad either. In fact, I think the changes are good because I see all four of the sequences above as more-or-less balanced: each has a meaningful opportunity cost.
I think it’s way too powerful for a level 1 spell.
or: "part of the game since AD&D"
So? Plus, it wasn’t nearly as powerful in AD&D.
if so, please explain. Saying doesn't make it so.
aren't players supposed to hog the mic on their turn?
Find familiar often effectively gives them another turn, let’s them also be the party scout, etc. it also makes turns drag on.
Fortunately, you can just ban the spell in games you run!

Most of us will be seeing characters choosing the spell. I'm trying to understand (anticipate) what the new rules will say. What I'm seeing is something that's considerably dialled back from the fly-by owl that I've seen become standard in 5e. I like that there will be more variation in the use of familiars, I am not convinced that they will be more ubiquitous, in part because they will be more vulnerable in combat.
Yes, it needs to be nerfed.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
And an ally might attack first.
By my reading of the Help action, you help a specific ally to perform a specific task or hit a specific enemy. The owl can, as far as I know, help you hit the target, and it shouldn’t matter if an ally attacks the target before you make your attack.
Or the enemy might turn invisible.

Not impossible, but harder than just "give me advantage now".
Fair enough.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yes, among other things, but that is the most common.

I think it’s way too powerful for a level 1 spell.

So? Plus, it wasn’t nearly as powerful in AD&D.

Find familiar often effectively gives them another turn, let’s them also be the party scout, etc. it also makes turns drag on.

Yes, it needs to be nerfed.
I anticipate you really hating Vex weapons.

Remove ads