• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting while being hidden

Saxit

First Post
What are the rules for hiding in combat? Lets assume you are hidden, and fire a ranged weapon, are you automatically revealed? Is being hidden the same as being invisible, rule-wise that is?
/Saxit

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I haven't seen a rule that says one way or the other, but I'd say no not automaticallly. People would get one heck of a boost to their spot checks I'd think since they would likely have a good idea where that arrow came from, but automatic IMO heck no. Depending on the terain and places to hide and distance away the hider is in some cases I'd make it automatic. At the point blank category I'd assess a -20 penalty to hide/sneak, lack of good places to hide might net you another 1-20 penalty or even make it impossible after the 1st shot to hide. I haven't seen any speciifc rules on this but those would be my general guidleines.

LostSoul

Adventurer
There are rules for Sniping in Song & Silence. Basically, if you're more than 10 feet away you can Hide again as a MEA with a -20 penalty to your Hide check.

Crothian

First Post
LostSoul said:
There are rules for Sniping in Song & Silence. Basically, if you're more than 10 feet away you can Hide again as a MEA with a -20 penalty to your Hide check.

Unless you have the Legendary Sniper Epic Feat from Dragon 297. It allows you to fire and hide as a MEA with no penalty. You also get +1 damage per sneak attack die of damage you do. Course you do need Dex 21+, Hide 24+ ranks, and Skill Focus Hide to get it. :D

doktorstick

First Post
I ran an encounter where the players were being shot from a distance. I played it with the following rules:
  • Normal Hide vs. Spot rolls (including the distance)
  • +2 cumulative circumstance bonus per round that the enemy fired their bows
  • Attacking within 30 ft. gave away their position
  • As a full-round action, a spot check could be made with a +2 circumstance modifier
This allowed a couple to several rounds of sniping to occur while giving a little more flavor to the combat.

I had not considered modifying the Hide skill at all for sniping as a previous poster cited. My method worked well. I think that if I used a -20 penalty, it wouldn't have been as near as interesting. :)

I have a question of my own. As a DM, would you have the players die roll for Spot, or just silently Take 10? I am starting to become more and more a Take 10 DM for Spot, Listen, and Search checks _unless_ the players say they are actively spotting, listening, or searching. This applies to NPCs as well. Thoughts?

/ds

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
doktorstick said:

I have a question of my own. As a DM, would you have the players die roll for Spot, or just silently Take 10? I am starting to become more and more a Take 10 DM for Spot, Listen, and Search checks _unless_ the players say they are actively spotting, listening, or searching. This applies to NPCs as well. Thoughts?

Strikes me as a good idea.

LostSoul

Adventurer
doktorstick said:

That's what I've been doing. I also do the same for Sense Motive.

Archer

First Post
This is what zone of visibility is for. Nothing can be hidden from you within the zone. All invisibility and hiding are useless.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads