• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Odd Weapons

was

Adventurer
It seems that the longsword and mace are the tradional weapons equipped on new characters. Are there others that you like to use? Are maybe flails or tridents your preferred weapons?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm...

I have had D&D PCs that had loads of fun using a:

Hvy Flail
Morningstar
Bisento
Rapier & Kukri
Paired Katars
Maul
Greatspear & javelins
Whip & Short Sword
Kusarigama
Greatsxe

Aldeon

First Post
I'm not sure why, but I'm very partial towards having a fighter or ranger that uses a quarterstaff as their main weapon. From what I've seen (people I've played with), I have never seen anyone who uses a quarterstaff other than a magic character.

Also, paladins obviously use tridents as their main weapon, with spare tridents for ranged attacks.

I've always been fond of Axes. Not sure why, but I like my characters having them. Halberd is another preferred selection.

And a knife. Even if it's just there to cut your food, always have a knife on your belt!

Herzog

Adventurer
Heavy spiked shield as main weapon, throwing axe as off weapon.
1 handed weapon doing 2d6 damage and sn off weapon you can throw on a full attack when you can't reach a secondary target and your main weapon dropped your primary opponent.

Yora

Legend
I am a glaive and bow type of guy.
Spear, scimitar, and short sword are also great. And especially heavy duble-curved blades like kopis, yataghan, falcata, and so on.

In short, all those classic weapons that have been used for thousands of years all over the world, but get entirely ignored by longsword+greatsword+battleaxe+mace fantasy.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I always try to pick a weapon that fits with the specific character's personality. Even the longsword says something about the person wielding it. One of the things I really like about the D&D3 continuum is the ability to build a character that makes good use of the properties of a favored weapon -- not for optimization purposes, but because it really adds to the flavor of combat.

My first and favorite character really hit his stride in D&D4 as a dual-wielding dagger-focus sorcerer. He started life as a high-strength, low-intelligence wizard in AD&D1 and had marginal success as a daggerspell mage in D&D3.5.

Had a cleric of Hextor disarm Strahd von Zarovich with his flail, once. The dungeon master didn't see that one coming.

Some other highlights:

- A WoWRPG warlock with a shepherd's crook and Improved Trip
- A D&D4 cleric of the philosophy of physical fitness with dual spiked gauntlets
- a dwarven ship's mage with a gaff hook

I'm currently playing an ifrit Oracle of the Dark Tapestry with a longspear, of all things. Something about piercing the veil.

Of course, on the flip side one of my current PCs is playing a slaver with whip proficiency, and I want him to die immediately. Unfortunately, no one can get within 10' of him.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I always try to pick a weapon that fits with the specific character's personality.

Yep!

My current PC uses a longsword because a straight, double edged sword is representative of the power of Knowledge- it cuts both ways. ;)

Derren

Hero
Its imo quite sad that many common weapons which saw heavy use in history are categorized as odd here. D&D simply does not enough to differentiate between weapons or even give them a reason to exist.

Remove ads