• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Favorite Magic Items

fuindordm

Adventurer
So, the list is out! I'm seeing a lot of "greatest hits" on it. Although I do wonder what it says about the world that a potion of climbing is a common item. :)

There are two here that I'm surprised and pleased made the cut:

1. Tentacle Rod! This was great fun to use against the players in the D series. A bizarre weapon that players might hesitate to use just for its icky connotations no matter how effective it is. An excellent match for aberration cults as well as drow.

2. Iron bands of bilarro. This one was an instant hit with my group back when the Unearthed Arcana book came out. Incredibly useful in any fight, and very flavorful. Eventually I had to rule that there was a chance they would break each time they were used, which made sense since they were using them against giants. I'm looking forward to seeing their 5E treatment.

What are your favorites?

Nebulous

Legend
Oh, the Iron Bands of Bilarro, i forgot about those. They were fun. My personal favorite always has been and always will be The Deck of Many Things.

Immovable Rod, without a doubt. I used to run a thief that had two of them and would use them as impromptu door bolts, brachiate across chasms with them and once placed one end-on in the way of a charging ogre's throat...

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Seeing the Cloak of the Manta Ray brings back fond memories of that late-2e game where we gave that item to my brother's paladin. We all had various abilities to turn into animal forms at least once per day (a few wildshaping druids, a polymorphing wizard or two, folks with other shapechanging magic items...) except for him. With he now able to wrap himself in the manta shell of the cloak, we could finally live the dream of yelling out "MAXIMALS! BEAST MODE!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads