• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Basketball the RPG

Black Omega

First Post
We've been having a discussion in the off topic area about fantasy basketball (two slots open by the way):

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=145860

We were discussing what positions in basketball corresond to what in DnD. Mistwell considers the center a tank, which I partially agree with. Most power forwards converted to center are more damage sponges. They stand in there, defend their team and take the damage so someone else can get the glory scoring and doing the damage, while guys like Shaq are clearly tanks.

Guards are more rogues. Fast moving, light, hard to catch and guard, hard to defend against but don't ask most of them to stop a tank driving the lane for a dunk.

There are exceptions, of course. Ron Artest is clearly a Barbarian. Magic Johnson was a sorcerer-rogue. Stockton maxed out in the prestige class Pure Point Guard.

I do wonder about feats that could be applied to the game.

Accurate Arc
Boom Baby! Miller from downtown!
Character can precisely aim thrown objects into a very small area.
Preqs: Dex 18+, Precise Shot
Character can add to arc to any ranged shot, allowing him to accurately drop attacks into holes from a safe distance or have a better chance hitting targets behind cover, giving him a +2 to such attacks.

Thunderous Dunk
Who's your daddy!
Character can pull off amazing dunks that dishearten the opposition.
Preq: Leaping or Great Height
When character hits a dunk attack on opponent's goal, all opposition currently in play must make a will save DC: 15. Every -1 dunker took off his chance to dunk is added to the DC. If the will save is failed, character is shaken for one minute.

Work the Refs
Come on red, he's grabbing me!
Character is more skilled than most at getting the referees to see things his way.
Preq: Cha 15+
Character gained a +3 to all bluff rolls against characters with the Referee class.

vic20

Fool
This is great stuff!

I'd almost rather implement such a system as guidelines for utilizing existing Skills, rather than feats. This way, player characters could take part in a competition without dedicating an entire Feat slot to such a narrow (relatively) focus.

Intimidate would feed Thunderous Dunk.

Bluff would feed Work The Refs.

Accurate Arc would be a side-effect of just having an insanely high Dex.

I think that Iron Heroes "Skill Challenges" would cover some of these things rather well...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Actually my full ideas were:

Center is your tank. Power Forward is your secondary fighter-type (Monk, Druid, Ranger). Small Forward is your penetrator (Rogue). Point Guard is your buffer (Cleric, Bard). Small Guard is your ranged attacker (Wizard, Sorceror, Archer).

Mistwell

Somehow I picture Gnomes as referees, though with their illusion abilities really the fake would be their move.

Black Omega

First Post
Mistwell said:
Somehow I picture Gnomes as referees, though with their illusion abilities really the fake would be their move.
Allen Iverson as a Gnome, tough little guy with a killer crossover dribble.:)

Mistwell

Bump. Perhaps a 4e version of this thread is in order?

By the way, we are beginning discussions on this upcoming year's fantasy basketball league, if anyone is interested. See last year's link.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads