Familiar hps

Brown Jenkin

First Post
This may be a simple question so I apologize, but I have not found it in the rules (or I simply missed it). With a multi-classed character how many hit points and what saving throws does a familiar have? I realize that familiar abilities are based on the class level that allows familiars, so that a Rogue 5/Sorcerer 1 would be treated as 1st level and not get things like speak with master. But the rules say that the familiar has ½ the masters hit points, has HD equal to the master’s level, and uses the masters saving throws if they are better. In the example given would the Rog5/Sor1 with 25+4=29 hp have a familiar of 1 HD 2 hp or 6 HD 14hp? Also are the saves based on the total save or just the Sorcerer base saves + ability modifier + other modifiers? Thank you for your help.

hong

WotC's bitch
Hit points = half master's total, which clearly goes by total character levels.

Saves = familiar's or master's whichever is better. Again, this goes by total character levels.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Thanks,

Thats what I thought but it seems a little odd that some things are based on class level and some on character level. It seems strange that 2 1st level sorcerrors would get familiars of vastly different power. On the other hand I can see the need for balance so that a familiar could survive in a higher level campaign.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
Thanks,

Thats what I thought but it seems a little odd that some things are based on class level and some on character level. It seems strange that 2 1st level sorcerrors would get familiars of vastly different power. On the other hand I can see the need for balance so that a familiar could survive in a higher level campaign.

Yes, the problem with the old 1e/2e familiar rules is they didn't scale.

The familiar is partially a manifestation of the master's own soul. So giving the familar half the master's HPs makes about as much sense as anything else to do with HPs.

Yes, that means a Bar19/Sor1 familiar will have an impressive pile of HPs. But it will have fewer abilities and less utility than the familiar of the Wiz20.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:

Yes, that means a Bar19/Sor1 familiar will have an impressive pile of HPs. But it will have fewer abilities and less utility than the familiar of the Wiz20.

Yes but the familiar of the Bar19/Sor1 will in all likelyhood have more HPs than the Wiz20 himself. :D

Remove ads