Extended Spell Feat?

sineater

First Post
Could someone explain exactly how this works and maybe give an example? Also is it any different for clerics then sorcerers or wizards? Thanks

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
You take the spell's duration and multiply it by two. You then take the level of the spell and add one to it. Thus, if you had a 2nd level spell that lasted 1 hour per level (such as Bull's Strength and used extend spell on it you'd get a 3rd level spell that lasted 2 hours per level.

Its exactly the same no matter what spellcasting class you are.

sineater

First Post
But also doesn't it use up a spell slot one level higher. Say you want to extend a 1 level spell. Doesn't that take up a 2 level slot to extend the 1 level spell? If so how and when do decide what spell you lose?

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
James: The spell remains a 2nd level spell, but you must prepare it in a 3rd level spell slot. Only Heighten Spell actually increases the spell level. I think that is what you meant, but it reads otherwise.

Sineater: Yes, the spell you extend must be prepared in a higher level slot, or in the case of a sorcerer/bard it must use up a higher level slot. The spell's actual level does not increase, however. Heighten Spell increases a spell's level.

Except for sorcerers and bards, the extended spell must be prepared at the normal time in the higher slot. Sorcerers use metamagic at the time of casting, and must have the proper higher level slot available, but it takes more time to cast (1 action spells take a full round to cast like a full attack action).

Last edited:

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Let's take a simple spell: Mage Armor.

Here's the breakdown:

Spell level: Spell, duration

1st level: Mage Armor, last 1 hour/level
2nd level: Extended Mage Armor, lasts 2 hours/level
3rd level: Extended Extended Mage Armor, lasts 3 hours/level
9th level: Extended (8x) Mage Armor, lasts 9 hours/level

bensei

First Post
Are you sure that you can apply 'extend' to a spell multiple times?
Could you then also cast an 'empowered empowered empowered fireball'?
Nice burst, if possible...

Xarlen

First Post
Yes, you can multi-meta a spell. But remember, you're paying for the slots with those tripple empowered fireball. I'd prefer to just go with the Max fireball for the same slot. ;)

Max fireball=6th level slot
2x empowerer fireball=7th level slot

Max fireball=60 damage
2x empowerer fireball=20d6 [10d6 base, 5d6 first empower, 5d6 second empower] (6-120 damage; average 70 damage)

Lesson learned? Anyone that prefers max to 2x empowerer is a fool unless they can't roll dice for beans. A really mean thing to do if your going to UBER empowerere is get 8 level of Incantatrix for the improved Metamagic ability.

Xarlen

First Post
*Shrug* I multiply the rolled damage, not roll extra die for it.

But, I can your point. Of course, that's a 7th level slot for Just 70 damage, when a sixth level gets 60. If I'm going to use a 7th level slot, I'm going to Empower a Cone of Cold.

Remove ads