• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Explain Bounded Accuracy to Me (As if I Was Five)

Vaalingrade

Legend
External factors absolutely matter. But I certainly don’t think 5e would have had as much broad appeal without bounded accuracy. The constantly-inflating bonuses of 3e and 4e turned off a significant number of dedicated RPG fans. The game was never going to win over a more casual crowd with that kind of math.

Never underestimate the average person’s aversion to math above a 3rd grade level.
Only the dedicated fans care about 'flat math'.

As evidenced by the fact that 5e still has math everywhere, just on in a way that makes your character feel like they've improved.

Praising BA for being something the average person would care about is like saying getting rid of the six ability scores and switching to 2d10 would make it the most popular game ever because those are the hot button issue keeping people from playing D&D.

Vaalingrade

Legend
The thing is, even with bounded accuracy, you don't need to put goblins against high level characters. But if I want, I can. That I can do that in no way negatively affects you.
Just like the ruling over rules issue, the issue comes up when you're a player entering a game not being run by someone you know and whose idea of the game aligns with you and enter the CalvinBall arena of pickup games where there's no consistency and plenty of undocumented pitfalls.

The issue doesn't have to affect me directly for me to critique it.

Just like the ruling over rules issue, the issue comes up when you're a player entering a game not being run by someone you know and whose idea of the game aligns with you and enter the CalvinBall arena of pickup games where there's no consistency and plenty of undocumented pitfalls.
The issue in such a scenario is incompatible preferences, not what those preferences exactly are. This is not an issue with the game, exact in the sense that it doesn't have super narrowly defined way to play. (Which is probably a requirement for mass appeal.)

The issue doesn't have to affect me directly for me to critique it.
Everything is personal preference. Okay, so now we can never criticize anything.
But it is just you personal preference, like you admitted. So fighting goblins at high level might not be an issue for someone else. It is not a real problem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads