• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

expanded trade goods?

Shadowdragon

Explorer
Does anyone have, or know where I can find, an expanded list of medieval trade goods like the short one included in the D&D player's guide? I'm mostly looking for the more valuable items that PCs would be likely to find as treasure in adventures. So more of things like saffron and gold bricks, and less of things like livestock, linen, and wheat.

If there's a list with actual medieval European values for such things I would really, really, like to see it.

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
Seconded

3catcircus said:
Pick up Expeditious Retreat's MMS:WE (Western Europe) or MMS:SR (Silk Road). You won't be disappointed.

I'll second that. They do great work and I've incorporated a lot of their stuff into my game.

Shadowdragon

Explorer
I managed to grab a copy of Silk Road. It is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. It does raise another question though. The prices for things like pelts, bones, ivory, etc are all listed by the pound. Is there an easy way to figure out how many pounds of material can be taken from each creature? Say a group of PCs manage to kill a grizzly and want to sell it's pelt at 5gp per pound. How many pounds of pelt would the PCs get from a single grizzly?

3catcircus

Adventurer
Shadowdragon said:
I managed to grab a copy of Silk Road. It is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. It does raise another question though. The prices for things like pelts, bones, ivory, etc are all listed by the pound. Is there an easy way to figure out how many pounds of material can be taken from each creature? Say a group of PCs manage to kill a grizzly and want to sell it's pelt at 5gp per pound. How many pounds of pelt would the PCs get from a single grizzly?

Based on a rough googling (which came up with rabbit pelts), assume 15% of the total animal weight.

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
Pelts

Personally, I would include some sort of survival or profession check for this, because an experienced trapper would do a better job of skinning the animal and not ruining the pelt.

Shadowdragon

Explorer
Bayonet_Chris said:
Personally, I would include some sort of survival or profession check for this, because an experienced trapper would do a better job of skinning the animal and not ruining the pelt.

That's a good idea. Make a survival roll vs. a dc of 10. Each point over gives 1% of the animals total body weight, up to a maximum of 15%. Or something like that.

Shadowdragon

Explorer
OK, if a grizzly weighs around 900lbs, that would give a pelt weighing 135lbs. Does that look right? It seems a bit heavy to me, but then I've never lifted a real grizzly bear pelt before so I have no idea how heavy it's supposed to be.

Arkhandus

First Post
Also, the Arms & Equipment Guide has a lot of gear, items, goods, food, drink, and other stuff in its first or second chapter, some of which may be of use to you for your games. If I recall correctly, it was one of the sorta-transition 3.0-3.5 books from Wizards of the Coast....

Remove ads