• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exclusive interview WotC President Greg Leeds

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
As I read more about this I've come to think that WotC isn't taking a stand against Pirates (capital P). These people we are discussing that will do whatever ever it takes to create these materials. I think they are trying instead to deter people in the vein of the "donation box." That cheap mini padlock an organization uses to seal their donation box won't stop a determined thief. It will dissaude an otherwise honest person from stealing donations. They are seeing too casual an attitude towards theft and how the format they were providing made that easier. They were effectively, in their opinion, leaving the box unlocked. Now they want to find a new "padlock" to help keep honest people honest.

I still think their decision was made and executed poorly. I truly hope they can offer something going forward that will somehow give more value than the pirated versions that will inevitably appear online, thus helping them protect against casual piracy and strengthening their role as industry-leader through revenue and goodwill. I also hope to see world peace before I die. I'm not holding my breath on either front.

carmachu

Adventurer
Typical CEO talking points. I've seen many of them from Games Workshop.

*shrug*

Although it is troubling that he said their not planning on selling PDF's at all. So what exactly are you going to replace it with? Because if you combine that with strong retail base.....its not looking good.

Without some real hard numbers in regards to piracy, kindle/e-reader sales vs PDF ones....its all just corp speak. I've seen it before.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
First, this isn't software you or I or WotC can just install on a computer and start running it. It's intended to be installed by ISPs and only monitors traffic into and out of that ISP. When considering what WotC can and cannot monitor, it's important to keep in mind the fact that they are not the NSA or the FBI. They're just a private company.
Good point. I posted that link simply to respond to the notion that gaining statistically relevant information about illegal downloads was utterly and totally impossible.

Let me clarify: I don't think it's possible to count (screw the word track, it causes to many problems) every illegal download of the PHB2 or any other D&D book. I do think it's possible to get statistically relevant numbers, however.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I bow before your superior typing skills. I only average about 10 000 words a day when I get the speed up, so for me it would take considerable longer, and probably be a lot more frustrating.

/M

There are only a few things I'm good at, but typing is one of them. It was an estimate anyway. It might take me 2 days.

Dumnbunny

Explorer
That said, in this pirate discussion I'm wondering if any one has a solution other than "you can't stop pirates and WOTC just needs to get over it"
Well, let's start with this simple truth: piracy is not a new problem. It is a problem that goes back over two decades if not longer. In that time, companies and industry associations which dwarf WotC (and Hasbro for that matter) in terms of size, warchest and technical prowess have tried and failed to come up with a piracy "solution."

About the only thing that's accomplished by all the DRM, watermarks, lawsuits and removal of official electronic verions is to make stakeholders feel better about piracy. DRM is routinely stripped off. The DRM on Kindle books can be stripped off with a script. One early form of CD DRM could be defeated with a black felt-tip pen. Watermarks can be rendered useless with an anonymous, pre-paid credit-card and a cafe with an anonymous, open wifi network. The RIAA sued over 28,000 people with no noticable effect. And despining a book for easy scanning is SOP with pirates these days.

So, attacking the supply end of piracy is demonstrably futile. What you do is attack the demand end. What you do is the iTunes solution. Offer people what they want (content and format) at an attractive price, and they will give you their money.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
What you do is attack the demand end. What you do is the iTunes solution. Offer people what they want (content and format) at an attractive price, and they will give you their money.

Yes, but there are difficulties on the way.

I think it is important to note that digital music differs from rpg's in two key area: price and commodity status.

A song goes for ... a song, really. It's cheap, it's a low threshold to get someone to spend about a dollar on a song.

RPGs are more expensive.

Songs are a commodity. There's plenty of channels to use if you're looking for music, there's TV, radio, Internet, iTunes, and a host of other solutions. We're blasted with music all the time.

RPGs are a "luxury" item.

These two things add up to ensure that the consumer pattern for RPGs will never match that of RPGs, and therefore, the distribution patterns of the two media will likely not match either.

So even though your statement is true, I'm not so sure that an RPG company can match the iTunes model for digital distribution. I think it more likely that an RPG company can match the WoW model for digital distribution.

/M

Siran Dunmorgan

First Post
Fellow discussants:

With respect to the ability of Wizards of the Coast to track copyright infringement: yes, it can. Or, more accurately—and much more likely—it can hire a company that specializes in such things to do so.

Companies like BayTSP [1] have actually built the infrastructure necessary to monitor the networks, including BitTorrent, the various instant messaging and other peer-to-peer networks, NNTP and even UUCP-based networks, for content infringing their customers' copyrights.

A customer—Wizards of the Coast, in this case—provides examples of what to look for on the networks, and BayTSP simply adds it to the already massive index of things for which it is looking. BayTSP then emits periodic reports on the traffic it finds of the sample materials provided by the customer.

Does this method yield records of all of the illegal traffic in Wizards of the Coast's properties? No. But it certainly provides a baseline from which to make decisions. The reports that Wizards of the Coast gets back from the tracking company will differentiate with high likelihood between copies made on servers primarily for re-transmission and copies made for end use. [2]

The numbers reported by a company like BayTSP will represent minimums: they call out the activity actually observed by the tracking company's systems. Such reports are likely to have been the source of the "10:1" figure given for the ratio of illegal to legal copies of Player's Handbook II: that ratio may in fact be higher if the copyright violators are successful in concealing their activities from the tracking company.

With respect to Wizards of the Coast having decided to withdraw from the PDF-based electronic book market entirely, this seems a superficially poor business decision: it does little or nothing to deter illegal copying, and it alienates existing, previously loyal customers.

On the other hand, I find it unlikely in the extreme that the decision to withdraw from the market was made lightly; I also find it unlikely that those making the decision were afflicted with acute idiocy. The alternative seems to be that we—those of us not privy to the process by which the decision was made—lack some crucial piece or crucial pieces of information regarding the context in which the decision was made.

We may, of course, speculate freely as to causes and motives: some of what we say may indeed have an impact on future decisions made by Wizards of the Coast.

I look forward both to the continued discussion, and to the future of Dungeons & Dragons.

In the hope that I have contributed to understanding and enlightened discourse, I remain respectfully yours,

—Siran Dunmorgan

[1] I have no information to suggest that Wizards of the Coast has actually hired BayTSP: I mention that specific company because I happen to be familiar with its operation and methods. BayTSP - Piracy Protection For Your Digital Assets

[2] No, it's not absolute, but it's possible to differentiate these with high likelihood from the behavior of that node on the network, the nature of the network to which the IP address resolves, and the number, sizes, and known contents of files made available by that node.

Dumnbunny

Explorer
On the other hand, I find it unlikely in the extreme that the decision to withdraw from the market was made lightly; I also find it unlikely that those making the decision were afflicted with acute idiocy. The alternative seems to be that we—those of us not privy to the process by which the decision was made—lack some crucial piece or crucial pieces of information regarding the context in which the decision was made.
While I don't believe the WotC executives are afflicted with acute idiocy, I think there are other alternatives than the one you present. I believe the WotC executives saw the piracy of their IP, and afflicted with accute naivete in tech matters reacted in the way we have seen. I feel confident this position, having spent decades of observing various companies and industry associations acting this way.

The feeling of deja vu is almost overwhemling.

Remove ads