• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ever have one of those 'What is he smoking' moments?

sukael

First Post
From the character creation thread of a particular play-by-post I'm in...

"4) No Monster Race with an ECL above 4 allowed ... 7) Starting lvl is 7."

Then I notice in the dice roller...

"11:29, Today: Gibraltar rolled 156 using 14d8+84. HP for levels of giant."

Well, that got me just a bit WTFy, then...

Me: "A question--how could Gibraltar play a full 14-hit-die Stone Giant? Racial hit dice do count for ECL, and so with a +4 level adjustment his full ECL would be 18... Is he using one of the monster class setups (like from Savage Species)?"

DM: "Gibraltar is playing a Stone Giant Monk (Stone Giant coming from Monster Manual v.3.5). I looked at the creature and as long as the Level Adjustment exceed 4 it is a playable Monster. ECL on the other hand is a little different. And trust me, Gibraltar can still be killed by a well placed double blow from any NPC if I happen to roll 2 Crits in a row. Its been done plunty of times in my Live games, and I won't be using the foul, evil, cheating Dice Roller of RPOL's, I'll be using my own real life, trustworthy (to a degree) dice. I can promise you all I won't be cheating on my rolls, it isn't my way, and I will always post what numbers I rolled in this format: Dice Number +/- Modifier Number(s) = Total Number. Of course all my rolls and things will be placed in [Private to:] so people who come and read the game stuff doesn't actaully see the game mechanics."

My WTF factor went up with that...

Me: "LA is meant to adjust things including the racial hit dice... Judging from your LA +4 comment, you'd allow someone to, say, play a juvenile black dragon, which has BAB +13 and an 8d6 damage breath weapon--or a fomorian (from MMII), which has 15 racial hit dice, BAB +11, Trample, Fast Healing 5, DR 5/-, and Scent..."

I even quoted the proper bit from the SRD that defined ECL.

DM: "Yes, but no one has asked me to play as a Dragon, or Formian (which I wouldn't allow a Chromatic or Formians as PCs, due to their normally evil alignments)."

My scale of WTF is hovering at a very high level by now...

Updates will be forthcoming as the saga of annoyance continues...

EDIT:

DM: "For the purposes of keeping the peace, and discourging any further comment on this subject matter, Gibraltar, can you please bring your character down so that he is at lest lvl 7-8. One level above the group won't matter."

Other player: "At this point Ild just say let our GM work it out. Arguments like this (I call it an argument because it seems more like one then a debate) detract fromt he game and take up more of the GMs time and resources. Which means we get started later and have less fun. I understand you want things to be fair and even but thats for our GM to work out. You made your point now lets let him take care of the situation before anyone decides to vote with their feet."

DM: "And yes that is supposed to be Level Adjustment, my fast typing and slow brain when I wrote up the rules skipped ahead to the finished product of what the LA would be calculated into."

...I don't know what to say. At all.

EDIT 2:

Me: "I'd suggest what Melann said, maybe equally getting monster and monk levels... so the progression'd be: Monster, Monk, LA (no HP or other benefits), Monster, Monk, LA, Monster... that way, he'd have two monk levels and be halfway through LA (and be completely rid of it by ECL 12, and then just go Monster, Monk, Monster, Monk, and be completely done Monster by ECL 32 (and have, if I'm figuring it right, 14 levels of Monk by then)."

DM: "Suggestions that have been said are welcome. Gibraltar, and I (if he wants my help), will figure this out. Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas, now I want further discussion of this to please end and focuse now on how your characters know each other, or I will create a thread where you all can do that in character, and yes, you would have to post in it or I wouldn't allow you to post in any other thread. Please, focus on the subject, and let the issue of Gibraltar be at rest. He is my concern, not anyone elses."

EDIT 3 (private messages):

Me: "...I'm sorry, but I think it'd be best if I dropped out of this game."

DM: "If you feel you need to, then that is your choice. I won't kick a player unless I personally feel they are being a problem, and you are not being a problem. You are merely voicing your insight on something you see as over balancing. If you want to go though, I should warn you, there are quite a few people who still want to join this game and I can't promise that you'd be able to get back in later."

EDIT 4:

I have left the game. Here's hoping I don't run into the same DM elsewhere...

Last edited by a moderator:

reveal

Adventurer
sukael said:

You say "Goodbye."

If I was in a game where a player said "It's the GMs job to make sure our characters are fair and play by the rules" I'd take that as a "I'm going to cheat unless the GM catches me."

Henry

Autoexreginated
sukael said:

I'd say that the phrase "What are you smoking?" sounds really rude and insulting.

A small request, by the way: Could I get you to change the title to something a little less volatile, and avoiding our profanity filters? Thanks.

--------------------

Second, I'd say, "The rules really don't work that way, and the resulting character is horribly imbalanced compared to what the other players are playing." And then I'd decide if it was worth continuing playing with this GM in this Play-by-post.

It's way off base, but not worth getting too worked up over.

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
sukael,

I think you should stay in the game. Not because I think you'll have fun, but because I will enjoy endless merriment out of reading about it. Now, if I were you, I'd tell the DM that my Aunt May needs you to drive her to rugby practice and you will no longer have the time to play.

That said, a rant:

Folks, this is why I encourage power gaming at my table. It isn't because I want my guys to be l33t mega-d00dz. It's because I want to actively identify problems so we can handle them intelligently as a group. It also sends a signal to the roleplayers so they know what to expect, while the powergamers are going to be doing this anyway.

Just my two cents.

sukael

First Post
Henry said:
I'd say that the phrase "WTF are you smoking?" sounds really rude and insulting.

--agh. Sorry if it seems like that, but that's not something I actually said to him. :| I thought it'd work as a thread title, though...

Remove ads