• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evasion stacking?

Mordane76

First Post
Does evasion from different classes stack to create improved evasion like uncanny dodge does? I'm not near books, and I can't seem to find anything in the SRD that's helpful. I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer this question.

Bad Paper

First Post
No. Improved evasion is more than twice as good as evasion. Perhaps if you get evasion from three sources, the DM could approve it.

Having said that, there is a ranger 8/rogue9 in my campaign that will get evasion (again) when she gets her next level. I do not think it is unreasonable to give her improved evasion at 18th level, but I had to cook up an in-game deus ex machina for her to get it.

Sejs

First Post
Another way to go about it is to compare total levels in classes that grant evasion. Usually improved evasion in around 9th or 10th level. If you're a rogue (8) / monk (2), congrats on your shiny new improved evasion; if you're a rogue (2) / monk (2) ... not so much.

Mordane76

First Post
I'm actually doing this for NPCs I'm working on for an encounter, and don't want to overdo it against the PCs. The NPC would be 14th level when gaining the second evasion trait.

Bad Paper

First Post
Mordane76 said:
I'm actually doing this for NPCs I'm working on for an encounter, and don't want to overdo it against the PCs. The NPC would be 14th level when gaining the second evasion trait.
1) You can do it per my deus-ex-machina post, above, or
2) You can do it because you're the dungeon master.

I like #1 because it can enhance backstory, but if he's just a one-off gonna-be-killed NPC, then don't bother. Fake it by giving him semi-improved evasion, like three-quarters damage on a failed save.

seans23

First Post
Bad Paper said:
Having said that, there is a ranger 8/rogue9 in my campaign that will get evasion (again) when she gets her next level. I do not think it is unreasonable to give her improved evasion at 18th level, but I had to cook up an in-game deus ex machina for her to get it.

Not that it matters. She'll still complain that her character sucks.

moritheil

First Post
Mordane76 said:

I've found that generally adding to an NPC's defense (unless pushing past the 'Moritheil AC limit') doesn't constitute overdoing it. The thing that will piss off players the most is when you instakill them.

Shellman

First Post
Bad Paper said:
No. Improved evasion is more than twice as good as evasion. Perhaps if you get evasion from three sources, the DM could approve it.

Take another level in rogue and you gain a special ability (improved evasion).

Remove ads