• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evard’s Black Tentacles

Ziggy

First Post
Evard’s Black Tentacles

My wizard used Evard’s Black Tentacles last session, and we ran into a discussion of its grapple bonuses. The SRD says:
This spell conjures many rubbery black tentacles.

Each tentacle is 10 feet long (Large) and saves as the character does. It has AC 16, 1 hit point/per caster level, an attack bonus of +1/per caster level, and a Strength score of 19 (+4 bonus). QUOTE]

Normally grapple uses
: Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + special size modifier

The question here is whether the attack bonus of the tentacles is a "base attack bonus" or an "attack modifier" (i.e. BAB + STR). The term attack bonus is AFAIK not used in the rule book.

I think that they just forgot the "base", and thus the +4 for STR should be added to grapple, but I was voted down by the rest of the players (and the DM). I could find nothing in the FAQ, any opinions ?

.Ziggy

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The grapple check is the Str bonus (+4) plus the Size modifier (+4) plus the +1 per caster level. So a 10th level wizard's EBT have a grapple check of +18.

Remove ads