• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Essential 4e: Heroes of the Forgotten Lands

question: is the spellbook feature of the Mage the same as for the other Wizards or is it different (for example does it only count for dailies or utilites/encounter Powers too)?
Looks the exact same.

just to get this clear, does the "spellbook" let the mage prepare

encounter attack powers
daily attack powers
utility powers

and when? after an extended rest or...?

how many spell the mage learn of the 3 type?
does he lose the spell from the spellbook when at highter level get new spells?

as I understood from the Mage preview now the mage learn (write in the book) 2 spell of each kind every time he gains a new enc/daily/utility and they never go away from its book, she can prepare also encounter spell from all the spell in its book with the only limitation that he can prepare 1 spell of each level up to the max level usable and the number depend from the mage level... is this correct?

thanks again

Last edited:

McFluff

First Post
+2 INT; +2 DEX or +1 CHA
+2 Arcana
+2 History
Training in 1 skill of choice
longsword proficiency
+1 Will
+5 save vs Charm
Fey origin
Trance sleep
Fey Step

Is the +1 CHA a typo or is that correct? Seems wierd. Is the Eladrin the only race to only get a +1 to their optional stat?

wraith428

First Post
Martial Equality

What makes up for the fact that the thief and fighter don't get dailies?

Does the thief still get at will attack or are these replaced by the rouge trick at will utilities.

Thanks,

Wraith428

Aegeri

First Post
I believe from looking at his previous responses that they continue to get more features and can use previous ones multiple times an encounter as they go up. Plus they add onto it a paragon path and epic destiny that suits them.

lutecius

Explorer
Is the +1 CHA a typo or is that correct? Seems wierd. Is the Eladrin the only race to only get a +1 to their optional stat?
I think one of the designers said the original eladrin had a lousy stat combination (dex & int both add to ac) because feystep was better than other racial powers. maybe it's a way to maintain the same balance without messing with the dex option.

I don't think eladrins need the cha bonus on top of their +1 will an +5 vs charm but they probably should make better fey warlocks.

Mengu

First Post
What makes up for the fact that the thief and fighter don't get dailies?

There is a lot of mechanical difference. It would be a little difficult to analyze the various dailies against what the thief/slayer/knight get. For instance if you look at the knight, they get Power Strike. This is an encounter power that will essentially never "miss" since it only triggers on a hit. Compared to most non-essentials encounter powers which can miss, this is potentially going to yield better damage. However the comparison is hard without seeing the whole thing in front of us.

My suspicion is that a well built non-essentials character will have a few advantages over the essentials characters, due to the front loaded power and nova capabilities. Essentials characters will probably feel more like average characters, and except for the wizard, they may not be quite as exciting as their non-essential counterparts (though that's subjective). I much prefer a rogue with Dazing Strike, Blinding Barrage and Compel the Craven, or a fighter with Come and Get It, Pinning Smash, and Unyielding Avalanche. Having said that, I am curious to see the essentials characters in action.

Oxente

First Post
(Lots of Knight Info)

I don't understand one thing. The Knight, Slayer and Thief gain some features as they go up in level (in Paragon and Epic tiers), to account for the better encounter powers of the other classes, right? But they also gain Paragon Paths as an extension of their abilities?

To better explain myself: is the ''Paragon Knight'' a Paragon Path in itself, that you can change, for example, for the Kensei or Pit Fighter? Or ''Paragon Knight'' is a table of advancement that grants some features at determined levels, and a Knight ALSO gains a Paragon Path of its choice? I suspect the latter, but just want a confirmation, and I thank you in advance.

Remove ads