• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Plans!

TiQuinn

I'm curious how far folks are going to take their campaigns with the new rules. It doesn't seem like there's an upper limit, unless it's self-imposed. Also, a lot of the feats and skills could shift a campaign pretty radically, to the point that your PCs are nearly demigods in terms of power. I've heard of folks making up 40th and 50th level characters just for fun, but is there a point where a character is simply unplayable because he or she is so powerful?

So, what do you plan on doing with the Epic Level Handbook? How is it going to affect your campaign? And if you're already playing an Epic campaign, how has it changed compared to your earlier Non-epic adventuring days? Myself, I like a lot of the monsters in the book, though my players are nowhere near epic level. However, I didn't see any reason why great monsters like the Gloom, Winterwights, Lavawights, and the Worm that Walks couldn't be scaled down and make appearances in non-epic games.

Last edited:

Aeolius

Adventurer
TiQuinn said:
So, what do you plan on doing with the Epic Level Handbook?

Epic level hag coveys and their creation, an epic-level beholder construct known as the Eye of the Damned. :D

I didn't see any reason why great monsters like the Gloom, Winterwights, Lavawights, and the Worm that Walks couldn't be scaled down and make appearances in non-epic games.

Glooms immediately made it into my campaign.

TiQuinn

Re: Re: Epic Plans!

Aeolius said:

Glooms immediately made it into my campaign.

Yeah, that picture of the Gloom was absolutely creepy. It was the kind of thing that could give me nightmares. That made it a definite must have for my game.

Hi there! :)

TiQuinn said:
I'm curious how far folks are going to take their campaigns with the new rules. It doesn't seem like there's an upper limit, unless it's self-imposed.

We will iminently be restarting our immortal campaign - my character is 80th-level; Divine Rank 7.

TiQuinn said:
Also, a lot of the feats and skills could shift a campaign pretty radically, to the point that your PCs are nearly demigods in terms of power.

As far as I can tell the vast majority of Epic Feats are pretty well balanced (I do have reservations about Improved Metamagic though).

I also think you need to clearly define Extraordinary (EX) and Supernatural (SU) abilities (within the feats themselves).

TiQuinn said:
I've heard of folks making up 40th and 50th level characters just for fun, but is there a point where a character is simply unplayable because he or she is so powerful?

I don't think so.

TiQuinn said:
So, what do you plan on doing with the Epic Level Handbook?

Incorporating it into our immortal campaign.

TiQuinn said:
How is it going to affect your campaign?

It already makes a lot more sense than Deities & Demigods.

TiQuinn said:
Myself, I like a lot of the monsters in the book, though my players are nowhere near epic level. However, I didn't see any reason why great monsters like the Gloom, Winterwights, Lavawights, and the Worm that Walks couldn't be scaled down and make appearances in non-epic games.

There are a great many monsters in and around the CR20 mark that could easily be used as opponents for a reasonably high-level (yet non-epic) character party.

Remove ads