• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enterprise: weekly discussion [prob spoilers too]

Black Omega

First Post
Wolf72 said:
didn't mean to put down G'kar ... just the company he was keeping this time around. (I wonder if he managed to *create* some Narn telepaths ... :) )

Good question, really. I'd love to see a Legends series touch on a few things left hanging after the end of B5. Even more since Crusades got cut off so quickly. I'm still wondering if the B5 feature movie is online.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I'm personally enjoying the series.

As to whether it is better or worse than other ST series, it seems everyone but myself (and a few others) wants to make those comparisons. I liked them all for various reasons and won't walk that path.

I will say that I do like the theme song. I'm glad they didn't feel overly concerned about offending STodgy purists. Nothing stifles creativity more than the folks who always want something "new like in the past" or "more of the new stuff they used to have."

I do find it interesting that this seems to be the first episode where the online debates are more about the moral dilemma that is the seed of the plot and less about supposed "canon" or miscalculations made by writers.

Heck. I sound less like my father than some people on these boards that are half my age. :D

Dark Psion

First Post
And don't forget next week;

Targs!!!! And Gagh and finally a new (as in old) Klingon ship!!

BTW, anyone who didn't like the Klingon D-7 in that other episode should check out this month's Star Trek Communicator #136, page 35, to see the retro warship designed for that episode, but not used by TPTB.

GreyOne

Explorer
Ferengi spoiler for upcoming episode

Spoiler

Enterprise (TV): The Ferengi are about to make their first appearance in the Trek timeline according to TrekToday. The upcoming episode "Acquiusition" has four Ferengi pirates managing to render the entire crew of the Enterprise unconscious in order to board and search it for - what else, items of profit. Tucker however is in the decon chamber (no doubt showing offhis undies again) when they board the ship, and avoids inhaling the gas used by the Ferengi to infect the atmosphere - he wakes up Archer and T'Pol, and the three begin to work to take the ship back. In order to fit into continuity, the crew will never learn the intruders were called Ferengi thus leaving the way for the official 'first contact' two centuries later in "The Next Generation" episode "The Last Outpost". Thanks to 'Christian'.

Kesh

First Post
Umbran said:
Saving the one species would not destroy the other species, but it would keep them in servitude, and prevent them from reaching their own potential.

Except that there are ways around this as well. Surely the Vulcans knew of some planet where a small population of the second species could be given a home? A place where they could thrive on their own with no further outside influence.

Or, perhaps simply *gasp* talking to the other race and seeing how they react to a proposition: let the second race have a small area of the planet that's otherwise unoccupied for whatever reason (preferably useful for agriculture).

It's not perfect, but saving one doesn't mean condemning the other...

Fyrie

Explorer
Dispite the triteness of the overall theme of this episode (which I really enjoy since this series is supposed to explore predetermined sci-fi conflicts), I thought as a purely character dev episode, it was really fine. In the last two episodes, we have learned that Phlox and the Tac officer are more-than-they seem. Although this seems like old hand, it is necessary for a good plot down the road is it not?

I dunno, I am still amazed that I am impressed with Scott Bakula.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Kesh said:

Except that there are ways around this as well.

Yah, well, we can sit back and imagine possible solutions out of any and all conundra in any TV series. That is not an indication that the shows are flawed. It's easy to sit back and be critical armchair generals.

Napftor

Explorer
Re: Ferengi spoiler for upcoming episode

GreyOne said:
Spoiler
Enterprise (TV): The Ferengi are about to make their first appearance in the Trek timeline according to TrekToday. The upcoming episode "Acquiusition" has four Ferengi pirates managing to render the entire crew of the Enterprise unconscious in order to board and search it for - what else, items of profit. Tucker however is in the decon chamber (no doubt showing offhis undies again) when they board the ship, and avoids inhaling the gas used by the Ferengi to infect the atmosphere - he wakes up Archer and T'Pol, and the three begin to work to take the ship back. In order to fit into continuity, the crew will never learn the intruders were called Ferengi thus leaving the way for the official 'first contact' two centuries later in "The Next Generation" episode "The Last Outpost". Thanks to 'Christian'.

I also liked the Doctor/moral episode this week. The writing is a good deal stronger than Voyager (no techno-babble saving every episiode). Not that Voyager was terrible. While you know they were going to escape, it was still fast-paced (the weak plots necessitated this of course...)

As for the above quote. They should leave the Ferengi out of Enterprise. How the heck is this not first contact with them since they never shut up. Surely their name or one of the Rules of Acquisition will be quoted. Despite the minimal fleshing out they received on DS9 episodes, the Ferengi are one of the less noteworthy races on Star Trek and should not be sullying this new show with their big lobes.

Markus

First Post
There were moments, such as when the doctor had a diseased sample of DNA next to a strand of the other species DNA that seemed to imply a deeper cause to the problem.
Of course, you rarely see anything hinted an or implied in TV today, so I may be way off base. But it seemed the direction of these 'hints' was that the two species could no longer live together.

As for evacuation, how many ships does Earth have at it's disposal to move a population?

Although I will agree there should have been another solution.
I freely admit I may be reading far too much into this. Perhaps I was spoiled by the subtlety of some other shows:)

Good choice or bad, I enjoy the fact that the show raised questions.

Markus

CWD

First Post
Though they didn't come out and say it, I got the impression that the "inferior" species was actually the cause of the plague.

Remove ads