• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elite/Solo gets +2/+5 on saves. Should they get a matching penalty?

Pyrex

First Post
Prepping to run Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress I noticed that the Enormous carrion Crawler inflicts a -5 penalty on saves vs it's paralysis effect.

Given the availability of bonus saves at higher levels, should all Elite/Solo creatures inflict -2/-5 to saves vs their own effects?

Mesh Hong

First Post
Given the availability of bonus saves at higher levels, should all Elite/Solo creatures inflict -2/-5 to saves vs their own effects?

Across the board to all creatures, probably not. But applying a -2 penalty to the saves for a few notable creatures could be interesting.

One thing that I have done with certain effects in my game is to require multiple saves ends.

e.g.

and the target is slowed and takes 20 ongoing necrotic damage (2 saves ends both)

the Jester

Legend
Prepping to run Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress I noticed that the Enormous carrion Crawler inflicts a -5 penalty on saves vs it's paralysis effect.

No, but an effect that includes a penalty to saves is fine for some.

I'm against giving blanket powers to all solos and elites, though- I think it's much more fun to build each one custom.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads