• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Effects of Large size

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If a human happens to be over 8 feet tall (maybe he has gigantism) he is still a human. (Contrived example I know).

Generally, even if a human is over 8 feet tall (say, an Enlarge spell turning a 6' human into a 9' human) he's still considered a Medium creature.

Under the influence of, say, a Righteous Might spell, he does become a Large creature.

Charm Person description : This charm makes a humanoid of Medium size or smaller regard you as his trusted friend and ally.

If this race is naturally Large - needs a Charm Monster to get him.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The posted stats aren't for a Large race, but for a Medium-size creature *advanced* to Large.

Interestingly, while Righteous Might makes a Medium creature Large, the only effect from the MM list that occurs is the -1 to AC/Attack.

The +8 to Str, +4 to Con, and -2 to Dex are ignored. A separate +4 "Enlargement Bonus" to Strength is applied. And the question of Reach is not addressed.

Should Righteous Might grant a 10' Reach, do you think?

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
The bonuses were skipped because (1) the creature isn't advancing, and (2) it would be to powerful for righeous might.

I think righeous might'd creatures should get reach, if they're Large bipeds.

ruleslawyer

I'd say so too.

And I think RM is woefully underpowered as is; especially since poly other and divine power, both 4th-level spells, can do VASTLY better. I'd give the standard bonuses/penalties for size advancement in place of the +4 enlargement bonus to Strength, me'self.

dcollins

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
The +8 to Str, +4 to Con, and -2 to Dex are ignored. A separate +4 "Enlargement Bonus" to Strength is applied. And the question of Reach is not addressed.

Although, notice that +4 is correct for a Small-to-Medium size increase. On average, in fact, the Strength bonus is +5.

Remove ads