ECL+1 and 0 level classes

Crothian

First Post
Personally, when starting a campaign I don't allow ecl+1 or greater races because I want everyone to be total level one. I know that most ECL+1 races aren't that much more, but it has always left a bad taste in my mouth.

So, what do you guys think of using the 0 level rules in the DMG for ECL+1 races. Their total level would be +1 and they would attain the first level of that class at 2nd level (+1 for ECL, 1 character level). This would keep them more on par with the ecl 0 races.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
IMHO, this isn't the best idea. The 0-level rules aren't truly 0-level. They consist of taking approximately half of two different classes and adding them together to equal a level one character. So If you did this, Your ECL +1 characters would still be equivalent to a 2nd level PC.

Even if you only added one class using the 0-level stats for that class, you would still end up with a PC that is equivalent to a 1 and 1/2 level character. They would probably be more powerful than your other 1st level PCs.

It might work out in practice, though... I'd have to try it before I could truly say.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
RogueJK said:
IMHO, this isn't the best idea. The 0-level rules aren't truly 0-level. They consist of taking approximately half of two different classes and adding them together to equal a level one character. So If you did this, Your ECL +1 characters would still be equivalent to a 2nd level PC.

Even if you only added one class, using the 0-level rules for that clas, you would still end up with a CP that is equivalent to 1 and 1/2 level. They would be more powerful than you other 1st level PCs.

It would only be one 0 level class. And even if it is 1 and a half levels, that's still better then two. Then at 1000xp, they get everything else for that class and become a total of two levels just like everyone else at that point.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
On second thought, this might be a good idea to try sometime. It's similar to another house rules that I've seen in which ECL +1 races that want to start at first level are allowed to have a level in a NPC class...

Go ahead and try it. Be sure to let us know how it works out. :)

Crothian

First Post
It's not something I can try anytime soon, just a random thought at 4:30am this morning while I was waiting for the ?US World Cup game to start. :D

Terwox

First Post
Unless you're going to keep people at first level for awhile, (not that that's bad or anything,) I wouldn't worry too much about this -- just go with the 0-level rules, unless having a minor power split at first level will be a problem -- ie, you'd be there for awhile.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Or, maybe, everyone at "level 1.5," so you can either have your apprentice level and ECL+1, or you can have a regular 1st-level character with 500 XP. For whatever the difference that makes is worth.

Remove ads