• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Easy Method for Creating 5E Reference Documents

There was a post several months back about a guy who created a reference binder for his sessions by buying an extra copy of the core rulebooks, then cutting out all the pages and making a binder with just the pages he needed for his upcoming session. Several people seemed to think that it was a useful (or at least interesting) idea, so in that vein I thought I would pass along a simple idea I have been using for creating my own reference docs.

There are several versions of the 5E System Reference Doc available online (www.Open5E.com and www.5thSRD.org both work well). You can copy text from the web page (for example, a monster stat block or spell description) and paste it into a word document. You may need to tweak the formatting a bit, but in short order you can put together single document with the full text of any monster stat blocks, spells, or specific rules you may need for a session. It is obviously handy for DM prep, but it can also be useful for players to have a doc with the full text of all their spells, all of their race and class rules, etc. The SRD is missing some stuff, but even if I have to type in a couple of stat blocks by hand it still only takes a few minutes to put together.

I am sure that this is old news many people, but hopefully this is a helpful tip for some - or at least cheaper than cutting up your extra copy of the PHB.

Remove ads