• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dynamic Excel "Wiesbaden Charactersheet" D&D (v1.11)

warderbrad

Explorer
Magus Coeruleus said:
I feel kind of ignorant of the right way to enter armor, weapons, attack bonuses, etc. and was wondering if anyone has done a fairly complete level 1 character (preferably a martial one; I'm trying with a warlord) they could post so I can see how people do the Armor & Equipment and Armor tabs, and how that properly affects the character sheet tabs.
I don't have a warlord done however I am willing to help as I can. You can private message me with the build you are trying to do and I will do it for you and send it to the email address you give me. Then you can see how it was done and use that to figure it out. I hope that will help.

Magus Coeruleus said:
I am also wondering if it's intentional that armor and shield are entered twice on the Armor & Equipment tab (under armor & shild and under equipment) as opposed to one looking it up from the other.
The reason for there being two places is for item slot management. Also the info you would input into the equipment area is not the same as what you would put in the armor and shield sections. The equipment area is for the name of the item (if it has one) the item level and the page reference. The armor and shield sections to the left of that are for the in game effects and how they apply to the stats of the character. Yes it would be possible to put the name and level and reference fields over with the armor and shield but that would not make as much sense in some ways as it has nothing to do with what the armor does for the character. You will find that if you put in a name for the armor that it shows up instead of the type on character sheet II

warderbrad said:
I may be misunderstanding you but I think you are looking at the column to the left of where you put the X to select a skill, if so then the skills that say Trained are not ones you have chosen but they are ones that are automatically given you by your class or by a feat (Arcane Initiate and Arcane for example). I hope that helps reduce confusion.
I think my wording was confusing :) I mean that the yellow cells column in which you enter an X to choose skills is titled "Trained" when I think it should be called "Selected" or "Chosen" or "Choose Skill" (to match "Choose Feat" on the Feats tab). To the left of that is the Preset column, where it indicates "Class skill" or "trained." To me, "trained" means you are trained and have the +5 whether it was automatic with the class, chosen from your allotment of skill selections, chosen via Skill Training feat, or given as part of a Multiclassing Feat. I see a yellow column titled "Trained" with bold Xs and my eye expects that to reflect all of the skills I have training in with the resulting +5. In fact, that column only reflects skills I select, not including ones that come from the Skill Training or Multiclassing feats. To realize what feats I have from that I need to look at the Preset column where it says "trained." My suggestion is that the bolder visual goes to what you have training in regardless of basis for that training, and that the "Trained" column be renamed something like "Chosen Skills" because that's what those Xs represent; you can have a skill trained without an X there so the column should be called something else, I think.

warderbrad said:
I don't have a warlord done however I am willing to help as I can. You can private message me with the build you are trying to do and I will do it for you and send it to the email address you give me. Then you can see how it was done and use that to figure it out. I hope that will help.
Thanks for the kind offer! Unfortunately, I tried to PM you and it said you were blocking or not receiving PMs. Here, I'll post the info I was going to PM and maybe you can PM me with the result?

Not all of the info below is necessary because I only have issues with the tabs I mentioned, but I figure better to be compelte:

Human Warlord 1

Commanding Presence: Tactical Presence
Abilities (22 pt buy): S 16 (14+2 for human), C 11, D 10, I 16, W 10, Ch 14
Main weapons used: Longsword (for melee), Javelin (for ranged)
Backup weapons: Dagger, sling
At-Will Powers (inc. +1 for human): Commander's Strike, Furious Smash, Wolf Pack Tactics
Encounter Power: Warlord's Favor
Daily Power: Lead the Attack
Skills (4 warlord + 1 for human): Athletics, Diplomacy, Endurance, Heal, Intimidate
Feats: Tactical Assault, Multiclassing (Ranger; gives Nature skill training)
Armor: Chainmail
Shield: Light Shield

Thanks again!

warderbrad

Explorer
Magus Coeruleus said:
Thanks for the kind offer! Unfortunately, I tried to PM you and it said you were blocking or not receiving PMs. Here, I'll post the info I was going to PM and maybe you can PM me with the result?

Not all of the info below is necessary because I only have issues with the tabs I mentioned, but I figure better to be compelte:

Human Warlord 1

Commanding Presence: Tactical Presence
Abilities (22 pt buy): S 16 (14+2 for human), C 11, D 10, I 16, W 10, Ch 14
Main weapons used: Longsword (for melee), Javelin (for ranged)
Backup weapons: Dagger, sling
At-Will Powers (inc. +1 for human): Commander's Strike, Furious Smash, Wolf Pack Tactics
Encounter Power: Warlord's Favor
Daily Power: Lead the Attack
Skills (4 warlord + 1 for human): Athletics, Diplomacy, Endurance, Heal, Intimidate
Feats: Tactical Assault, Multiclassing (Ranger; gives Nature skill training)
Armor: Chainmail
Shield: Light Shield

Thanks again!

http://www.mediafire.com/?xy0ebnyxew1

did it fast so there could be mistakes but it shows how to use the sheet

warderbrad said:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xy0ebnyxew1

did it fast so there could be mistakes but it shows how to use the sheet
Indeed it does show, thanks. Let me make a few comments and ask a couple of questions while at it:

1) As mentioned, heavy thrown = use Str for javelin even though ranged.
2) Notice on the Attacks tab you used attack bonus 1 for ranged basic and attack bonus 2 for melee basic, which is swapped. I only mention it because the first time I tried using the sheet I made the same mistake. I believe that most people will intuitively tend to think of their primary melee weapon first and their ranged next, although that may only be for defenders while rangers and wizards, for instance, may have the opposite. The KotS pregens show melee before ranged for basic attacks. I just wonder if the incidence of mistakes would be less if melee basic came first (column E) and ranged second (column G). Maybe there is some other creative way to facilitate getting the correct attack bonus chosen on favorites/basic.
3) I notice you overrode the attack bonus for the powers, using straight-up Str rather than the BAB, which includes weapon proficiency bonus. Those bonuses do apply to powers so there's no need for the override. I looked back at the PHB and unfortunately it is not even mentioned in the Attack section of Powers in the Classes chapter that you should include it, but weapon proficiencies (Equipment chapter, how to read weapon table) says they apply to attack rolls, which is a broad category including powers. Still, I think they could/should have made this more explicit and I hope it doesn't confuse too many people.
4) So if I want to account for using something like a dagger in melee and ranged I should use 2 attack bonus columns in the Attacks tab, one entering Str and the other Dex, right?
5) I like the way that I can just change the attack bonus # (1-5) for a power and have it update the character sheet accordingly, rather than needing a separate entry.
6) Probably too much to ask, but it would be awesome if under Base attack bonuses you could just specify a weapon and based on a lookup of its properties it could determine whether it is usable for melee, ranged, or both, and accordingly calculate cell values indicating the relevant ability. Instead of having one Ability and BAB per entry it would have two, one for melee and one for ranged. If the weapon is only applicable for one or the other, an N/A could appear in the relevant cells (not to be confused with Excel's #N/A). It would use the light vs. heavy thrown properties to determine whether ranged should use Str or Dex, etc.
7) Edit: noticed something else. The Attacks tab row with drop downs to select the weapon/implement type (row 8) is called "weapon/implement type" and the one where you entered the damage die (row 10) is called weapon/implement name. I think row 8 is name, and I'm not sure either what type means or why you entered the damage die. If you do mean to put the damage then in the future you could consider letting the damage field for the favorite powers automatically calculate that based on whether it's 1[W], 2[W], 0, etc. base damage and which attack bonus (i.e. which weapon) was chosen, where appropriate. Just a thought.

Again, thanks for your hard work!!!

Last edited:

melkoriii

First Post
Just thought of an idea.

Could you make Attack/power backgrounds change color based on what you pick from the power type drop down? So if you picked at-will the background would be greenish.
Encounter it would be redish and Daily would be grayish. Or maybe just the border?

Would make it easy to see what powers were what type.

warderbrad

Explorer
Magus Coeruleus said:
1) As mentioned, heavy thrown = use Str for javelin even though ranged.
Yea I didn't pay attention to that sorry
Magus Coeruleus said:
2) Notice on the Attacks tab you used attack bonus 1 for ranged basic and attack bonus 2 for melee basic, which is swapped. I only mention it because the first time I tried using the sheet I made the same mistake. I believe that most people will intuitively tend to think of their primary melee weapon first and their ranged next, although that may only be for defenders while rangers and wizards, for instance, may have the opposite. The KotS pregens show melee before ranged for basic attacks. I just wonder if the incidence of mistakes would be less if melee basic came first (column E) and ranged second (column G). Maybe there is some other creative way to facilitate getting the correct attack bonus chosen on favorites/basic.
I was moving fast and didn't realize I had switched them. You do have a point about how it could get confused and it probably should be more like the WOTC character sheet in that way.
Magus Coeruleus said:
3) I notice you overrode the attack bonus for the powers, using straight-up Str rather than the BAB, which includes weapon proficiency bonus. Those bonuses do apply to powers so there's no need for the override. I looked back at the PHB and unfortunately it is not even mentioned in the Attack section of Powers in the Classes chapter that you should include it, but weapon proficiencies (Equipment chapter, how to read weapon table) says they apply to attack rolls, which is a broad category including powers. Still, I think they could/should have made this more explicit and I hope it doesn't confuse too many people.
I was under the impression that if it said Str vs AC then it was a straight Str stat mod (with level adj). While it did make sense to use your weapon prof bonus and any other bonuses based on weapon it wasn't clear.
Magus Coeruleus said:
4) So if I want to account for using something like a dagger in melee and ranged I should use 2 attack bonus columns in the Attacks tab, one entering Str and the other Dex, right?
That would be the best way I can think of.
Magus Coeruleus said:
6) Probably too much to ask, but it would be awesome if under Base attack bonuses you could just specify a weapon and based on a lookup of its properties it could determine whether it is usable for melee, ranged, or both, and accordingly calculate cell values indicating the relevant ability. Instead of having one Ability and BAB per entry it would have two, one for melee and one for ranged. If the weapon is only applicable for one or the other, an N/A could appear in the relevant cells (not to be confused with Excel's #N/A). It would use the light vs. heavy thrown properties to determine whether ranged should use Str or Dex, etc.
The problem is that I am sure it will not always be that way. If we were allowed to use macros we could have the "usual" stat be placed in the box and then let you change it if you need but that doesn't work with OO. Personally I hate the way OO works and would love to say the hell with OO but that is me.
Magus Coeruleus said:
7) Edit: noticed something else. The Attacks tab row with drop downs to select the weapon/implement type (row 8) is called "weapon/implement type" and the one where you entered the damage die (row 10) is called weapon/implement name. I think row 8 is name, and I'm not sure either what type means or why you entered the damage die. If you do mean to put the damage then in the future you could consider letting the damage field for the favorite powers automatically calculate that based on whether it's 1[W], 2[W], 0, etc. base damage and which attack bonus (i.e. which weapon) was chosen, where appropriate. Just a thought.
I put those there only for my info while filling the sheet. One of the improvements I am working on is having a place to put the damage die into the attack slot at the top so that when you are filling out the favorite powers section you don't have to flip in the book.

warderbrad

Explorer
melkoriii said:
Just thought of an idea.

Could you make Attack/power backgrounds change color based on what you pick from the power type drop down? So if you picked at-will the background would be greenish.
Encounter it would be redish and Daily would be grayish. Or maybe just the border?

Would make it easy to see what powers were what type.

This is a good idea, I just hope they don't add more types as the conditional formatting only handles up to three options.

mserabian

Explorer
Hey Guys

Great job so far on the Spreadsheet. I did notice one issue on the attacks tab. Only attack bonus 2 seems to work properly. The other attack bonuses don't seem to calculate the proper BAB based on Ability Score (it shows as a blank), and on the character sheet the selected ability bonus and BAB both show as blank.

Keep up the great work!

Mal

Remove ads