• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Survival Handbook

klofft

Explorer
I suspect this will be a book with player options of some kind, based on both the title and the fact that player books no doubt sell better.

That being said, I would LOVE a book of terrain and especially traps, all fully statted out like a monster manual, so I could add cool non-monster stuff to encounters without having to make it myself.

I would also love a book of generic skill challenges, though that ain't ever going to happen.

I suspect this will be a book with player options of some kind, based on both the title and the fact that player books no doubt sell better.

That being said, I would LOVE a book of terrain and especially traps, all fully statted out like a monster manual, so I could add cool non-monster stuff to encounters without having to make it myself.

I would also love a book of generic skill challenges, though that ain't ever going to happen.
I wouldn't write off this book as being only player or DM content. WotC seems to be moving away from that model to some degree. It COULD be player-only, but even then it could have a lot of guidelines for the DM to use in say hexcrawls or whatever. Not totally germane to players, but it isn't like they'll be getting a spoiler from seeing some random weather tables or whatever, and even a limited amount of pages of DM content can go a long ways.

Plus I have to wonder just how much more player-side crunch WotC is really going to put out there? I could see maybe supporting some mechanics that need love, like some exploration rituals, maybe some martial practices, maybe a few skill powers, but it is hard to imagine another book at this point with 100+ pages of player crunch.

klofft

Explorer
I wouldn't write off this book as being only player or DM content. WotC seems to be moving away from that model to some degree. It COULD be player-only, but even then it could have a lot of guidelines for the DM to use in say hexcrawls or whatever. Not totally germane to players, but it isn't like they'll be getting a spoiler from seeing some random weather tables or whatever, and even a limited amount of pages of DM content can go a long ways.

Plus I have to wonder just how much more player-side crunch WotC is really going to put out there? I could see maybe supporting some mechanics that need love, like some exploration rituals, maybe some martial practices, maybe a few skill powers, but it is hard to imagine another book at this point with 100+ pages of player crunch.

Oh, I agree. I was simply suggesting that I don't think I'll be getting my "Trap Monster Manual" either.

What I DON'T want it to be is a little player crunch, a little DM crunch, and a lot of generic dungeon advice. That won't be worth $30 to me (though I'm an obsessive who will buy it anyway - so...whatever. :))

Matt James

Game Developer
I missed this thread. This book is full of awesome. I wish I could say more, but 4e fans will have their minds blown (in the good way).

Rechan

Adventurer
This book was talked about this at the D&DXP seminar.

May: Dungeon Survival Handbook: focuses on dungeon campaigns, tips and tricks for DMs as well as ideas for players. Themes with mechanical effects that also tie into the story of the world. The twist is the DM section that shows DMs how to tie the new themes into their adventures.

The Dungeon Survival Guide contains primary underdark themed powers and new playable races. Some of these racers have been given NPC stats, but now they have full blown PC information. One example would be the goblin.

Yes, we have Kobolds as a player race in the Underdark book.

I for one welcome our new kobold overlords.

Mummolus

First Post
I'm hoping there's also support for orcs, and maybe even a bit more for Gnolls. It'd be nice to be able to play something that isn't another elf variant.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads