• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dungeon Master’s Guide vs Monster Manuel

Dungeon Master’s Guide vs Monster Manuel

This may seem pernickety, but I want my complete D&D game in just one box - The Starter’s Box to be precise - and they won’t provide pdfs.

I have the Player’s Handbook, which is essential, but only have room in the box to fit in one more corebook. Which is better, more essential or just plain coolest to have - The Dungeon Masters Guide or the Monster Manual?

If you had to choose, which one would it be and why?

Last edited:

Paraxis

Explorer
Print out the DMG basic rules pdf when it gets updated and it will have monsters and all the crunchy good stuff you most likely need from the DMG.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
There is only one "Monster" Manuel, and he is on hiatus... until we really need him.

manuel_480_poster.jpg

Henrix

Explorer
I'd go for the MM. More mileage when actually running the game. You might miss the magic items and stuff from the DMG occasionally.

There is only one "Monster" Manuel, and he is on hiatus... until we really need him.
He usually posts over at RPG.net. Don't think I've ever seen him around these parts.

Mercurius

Legend
MM, but I'd want both. The DMG has treasure, the random dungeon generator and other fun bits that you probably won't need, but might come in handy if you like to throw in random bits.

But then again I'm the DM that brings a milk crate of books.

Remove ads