• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Grappling issues

corwyn77

Adventurer
I'm just starting to implement this for my Tomb of Annihilation game. Mostly, it's great; my only issue is with high level medium, and to a lesser extent, large bosses.

A 5th level fighter can restrain a lich, for example, in one round which also makes its spells fail 83% of the time. With a single feat, he can actually incapacitate it. Even just grabbing him which anyone can manage, will make his spells fail 1/3 of the time.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I think you would benefit from reading the rules on grappling again. The grappled condition only causes the grappled creature's speed to becime zero, and allows the grappler to move with their opponent at half the grappler's speed.

It has no other impact on the grappled creature's ability or effectiveness at casting spells or making attacks. They just can't use their move action to get away before breaking the grapple.

With the grappler feat, a fighter could make an addition check to restrain the opponent, which then starts impacting their opponent more by making most of their checks happen with disadvantage, but the rub of it is that the fightsr would also have the restrained condition.

So in your example with the lich, the lich would smile (if they still had lips) at the fighter grappling him, because the fighter would be in the perfect position for the lich to drain the life out of them with their paralyzing touch and frightening gaze.

EDIT: Sorry, I reread your post. I'm confused. Are you asking about how grappling works, or have you made some change to it? Because you mention implementing a change, and giving us an example, but you don't really explicitly tell us what change in the mechanics you have made. It makes it hard for us to provide feedback if we don't know what you made for grappling.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I'm just starting to implement this for my Tomb of Annihilation game. Mostly, it's great; my only issue is with high level medium, and to a lesser extent, large bosses.

A 5th level fighter can restrain a lich, for example, in one round which also makes its spells fail 83% of the time. With a single feat, he can actually incapacitate it. Even just grabbing him which anyone can manage, will make his spells fail 1/3 of the time.

That sounds quite problematic. It's impossible for me to really help much here, since I haven't read the product in question, but the game's default grappling rules are pretty good. Is there something about them that you find dissatisfying that Dungeon Grappling fixes?

Shiroiken

Legend

When using 3PP, you must always be aware of its potential impact on the game. It sounds like this product is having a pretty negative impact, and so you should simply stop using it. If the players have taken any abilities or feats from it, allow them to select another choice instead.

Remove ads