• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DUNE Movie: Thoughts, Opinions, and Impressions

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I really hope Villenueve’s Dune spawns a franchise… that stops after God-Emperor.
By Chapterhouse, the whole Bene Gesserit vs Honored Matres thing was cringe-groan. Though Delaney claims the entirety of Dune was merely based on a pun that got out of hand might be true too.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Mary Shelley also wrote Frankenstein and kicked off modern science fiction because of a holiday writing challenge that got out of hand, so that tracks.
I have also heard it is a thinly veiled criticism on the colonial policy in Ireland, though I do not know the situation enough to tell. Philip K Dick called science fiction a "divine fool" a way to say something, without saying it directly.

That was one of things the Lynch version gets excoriated for, but I thought was a clever touch- the occasional 'hearing' of the character's thoughts- especially when the actors acted along with it,

I hated that in Lynch's Dune. I think it is something that works well in a book, but doesn't translate well to film. It always felt very jarring to me.

Jmarso

Adventurer
I hated that in Lynch's Dune. I think it is something that works well in a book, but doesn't translate well to film. It always felt very jarring to me.

I just never had an issue with it- you could always tell when they were 'just' thinking, and in trying to squash the entire story down into a single movie, I don't really see what else he could have done. It is one of the most commonly heard complaints about that version, though- a LOT of people don't like it.

Remove ads