• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonwrought Feat (RoD)

Herzog

Adventurer
Can someone explain to me the advantages and disadvantages of this feat?

To be more precise, the following comes to mind:
1. Since you loose the dragonblood subtype, and gain the Dragon type, do you still qualify for feats that require the dragonblood subtype?
2. What are the benefits of gaining the Dragon type? (except for those specifically mentioned in the feat)
3. Do you qualify for feats that require you to be a half-dragon?
4. Do you qualify for feats that require you to be a humanoid?
5. Do you still qualify for the kobold sorcerer racial substitution levels?

Any comments and/or rule references appreciated.

Herzog

Adventurer
Ok, answered some of these myself in the meantime:

RoD p.4:
Dragons automatically qualify for any classes, prestige classes, racial substitution levels, feats, powers, or spells that require the dragonblood subtype.​

Runestar

First Post
2. What are the benefits of gaining the Dragon type? (except for those specifically mentioned in the feat)

You are treated as a dragon for purposes of type (so alter-self and polymorph affect you differently by opening up new options).

There is some confusion related to how dragonwrought interacts with dragon age categories (what were the designers thinking when they gave kobolds age categories?), but I can't think of any use for them barring weird interpretations about how venerable dragonwrought kobolds can qualify for epic feats at 1st lv or the loredrake substitution feature (dragons of eberron)...

3. Do you qualify for feats that require you to be a half-dragon?

Depends on whether the feat states dragon or half-dragon. Yes for dragon, no for half-dragon (do you have an example?)

4. Do you qualify for feats that require you to be a humanoid?

No, you are now a dragon, not a humanoid. (again, any specific examples?)

5. Do you still qualify for the kobold sorcerer racial substitution levels?

You still should, I suppose.

Herzog

Adventurer
Found some myself as well.

Appearently, Dragonwrought Kobolds don't suffer age penalties (only gain bonusses)

about half-dragon: the feat I found (Dragon Breath) also requires you to have a breath weapon, so doesn't really apply.

humanoid: no examples found, really. I was just curious.

Appearently, Dragonwrought Kobolds don't suffer age penalties (only gain bonusses)

Sorry to reawaken old posts but I have a couple questions about this feat also. For one where dose it say Dragonwrought Kobolds don't suffer age penalties?
I have also seen it said they get +2 CL for sorcerer but once again I can't find it in any book errat etc...

Herzog

Adventurer
Races of the dragon, p.39, aging effects :

Ability penalties due to age do not apply to dragonwrought kobolds.

They can also get a spellike ability and a bonus sorcerer level through the draconic rite of passage ( p.43) and greater draconic rite of passage at the cost of some permanently lost hitpoints and a feat ( races of the dragon web enhancement. )

Herzog

Adventurer
The web enhancement also suggests a -1 level sdjustment for kobolds. Try to get that past your DM. Personally, I thought that took it a bit too far.

There are a lot of suggestions online to take dragon only feats and prestige classes. There remains, however, a point of discussion whether they qualify as true dragons.

I don't see why they wouldn't qualify as true dragons, seeing as the age area for them gives a full dragon age progression, but even if they don't qualify as true dragons some of the dragon feats look interesting, useless for something with so little attack, no breath weapon and no wings but still interesting.

And as for the -1 level I don't think I will even try that one, while it might be interesting the racial options, namely the two Rituals (free feats....erm expensive non-feats) well out due the racial penalty.

Remove ads