• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Magazine/George RR Martin Issue...

eXodus

Explorer
i am currently on my fourth reading of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. every time through the series i find myself drawn deeper into the world he has built for us.

some months ago Dragon Mag did a setting issue devoted to the series. i really want my next game to be set in Martin's world. how did Dragon do with it? feedback from people who actually read the books would be helpful.

i just want to know what was there and if it is even worth peeking into for guidance in bringing life to my game. one thing i will certainly do i see that all of the players involved read the series. that will give them a lot to move from. to really bring it all to life it needs everyone to really be into the setting.

also if anyone has tried to set a game in westeros let me know how it was and what you did to make it all happen.

gracias

Berandor

lunatic
It was... interesting. However, bringing D&D classes to SoI&F doesn't work that well, especially when magical classes come into play. For example, Melisande is a cleric IIRC. Also, adjucating alignment isn't that easy.

Martin's world isn't as magical as D&D proposes its worlds to be, and it's far less strictly separated in terms of good and evil than alignments let on.

So I found the issue interesting, but not really convincing.

haiiro

First Post
From a rules standpoint, I didn't think it was a particularly good treatment of Westeros. Shoehorning Martin's low-magic, high-complexity characters into D&D classes just doesn't work all that well -- for that matter, D&D magic in Westeros doesn't work at all.

Personally, I'm holding out for Gaurdians of Order's standalone d20 Game of Thrones RPG. With more room and more options available, I'm hoping they'll do a really good job of it. We'll see. ;)

Krieg

First Post
haiiro said:
Personally, I'm holding out for Gaurdians of Order's standalone d20 Game of Thrones RPG. With more room and more options available, I'm hoping they'll do a really good job of it. We'll see. ;)

Speaking of which...

got_d20_splash.jpg

According to GOOs schedule it should be out within the next 1-2 months.

morbiczer

First Post
I think there was an August release date for the GoT RPG, but I remember reading on their messageboards that they won't be able to meet this deadline. Has something to do with GRRM working on Volume 5 and not having enough time to help with the RPG. But I might might be confusing things. Best check their messageboards for more precise info.

The GoT RPG will have two versions (two seperate books). A d20 version and a version in their own Tri-Stat system. There will also be a deluxe edition with both systems in it.

I'm really looking forward for this product.(Although holding A Feast for Crows in my hands would obviously be even better.)

Last edited:

eXodus

Explorer
i cannot wait to read a feast for crows. if this one is on par with the last three (and i am certain it will be) i will be one happy guy!

The Madhatter

First Post
I wonder why one of the larger d20 folks coudn't pick this up? I've heard they do wonderful Anime based games, but GoT is so very different than Helsing. Maybe the license was inlcuded with the card game?

d20Dwarf

Explorer
The Madhatter said:
I wonder why one of the larger d20 folks coudn't pick this up? I've heard they do wonderful Anime based games, but GoT is so very different than Helsing. Maybe the license was inlcuded with the card game?
If that was the case, then Fantasy Flight Games would be doing the setting. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads