• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 305 and house rules

Garmorn

Explorer
I noticed that Dragon has started a new feature called house rules.

First I want your thoughts on if the effect of this new feature. I know that for most of us old timers it will be just another source of ideals for our games, but will it help counter the trend of "Only the Core Books in MY Game?

Second I would like opions on the alternate Metamagic rules suggested in the article. I have always been terrible about judging the effects of rules on the game so am leary of my own evaluations.

Garmorn
(Who still wants to play Fantasy Trip.)

Limper

First Post
I'll address the second part of your question.

The Daily Use Metamagics are VERY weak in comparison... they are however absolutely perfect for players and DMs who dont like to spend any time picking spells lists.

As a player I would not play a caster in a campaign that used the system... since so many of the spell levels and spells themselves become obsolete as you progress in level and since they nerfed Haste this house rule would be devestating to casters (arcane mostly... the divine caster have things to fall back on).

More uses and a pool of uses based on the number of feats you take would go a long way toward making it viable.

You can try it out but it weakens Arcane Casters a lot and it criples the Sorcerer who NEEDS metas to flesh out and get the most out of his limited repetoire. Also any sane wizard will become an artificer since there is no purpose or benefit to taking Metas anymore.

Just my thoughts YMMV.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads