• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Draconic Auras from multiple sources

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Let's say we have a 5th level Dragon Shaman, who knows 5 draconic auras, each of which gives a +2 bonus (or equivalent), only one of which can be active at any one time.

Let's say he took the Draconic Aura feat at 3rd level, granting a single draconic aura with a +1 bonus, which will increase to +2 at character level 7 if he is dragonblooded, but not otherwise.

Does this 6th draconic aura benefit from the +2ness of a 5th level Dragon Shaman's auras? In other words, does the increase from +1 to +2 affect only the draconic auras he gains as a result of odd-numbered Dragon Shaman levels, or does it affect any draconic aura he possesses?

If the feat-granted aura were able to be active at the same time as a single Shaman aura, it would be clear that the two were unrelated. But it falls under the same restriction as the others; and at 5th level, when the Dragon Shaman selected his fifth class-granted aura, he was unable to select the same aura as that granted by the feat, since he may only select any given aura once.

-Hyp.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Doesn't the feat specifically say you can only have one Draconic Aura active at one time?

Just reread it and it does indeed. If you activate another aura, the one form the feat turns off. Dragon Shaman simply says you can only project one at a time, though it does not say from the feat or from the calss ability, but that is a moot point as either wording would preclude a second from being active.

As far as gaining powers go, I would make them into a pool, and use the better ofthe class or feat. As the Dragon Shaman says you can activate "and Draconic Aura YOU KNOW" and "The bonus granted by your aura begins at +1 and increases....."

So I would treat the Draconic Aura feat as effectively adding auras known from the list in Dragon Magic. I would not allow a person with the feat to tkae 'vigor' for example. Dragon Shamans can take wahtever ones they wnat as stated in Dragon Magic.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
EyeontheMountain said:
Doesn't the feat specifically say you can only have one Draconic Aura active at one time?

Right - that's completely unambiguous. All I'm asking about is the bonus.

I would not allow a person with the feat to tkae 'vigor' for example.

Right.

As the Dragon Shaman says you can activate "and Draconic Aura YOU KNOW"...

Now, how about Dragon Lord? It says "When you reach 5th level, the bonus granted by both of your auras increases to +2. At 9th level, the bonus granted by all three of your auras increases to +3."

So if we have a Dragon Shaman 1 / Fighter 6 / Dragon Lord 9, he has six auras - three from DrSha1 and three from DraLrd9. The +3 bonus is granted by 'all three' of the Dragon Lord's auras - will the three he gained from his Dragon Shaman level project at +1, or +3?

Dragon Lord doesn't use the 'any aura you know' wording.

-Hyp.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Hmm, what a monumental lack of interst in this topic.

For the Dragon Lord, I owuld jsut treat those aruas as seperate in every way, as they do not play well with the DS and the feat. No rules justification for that, though. Especilly when calculating the bonus.

I don't really see a reason to mix them anyway, especially the feat and DL. The feat should always be better by then. The DS may not be though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads