• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Don't Throw 5e Away Because of Hasbro

Dire Bare

Legend
Well, sure, Hasbro absolutely be wfits from any use of off-brand D&D: that was precisely Ryan Dancey's plan releasing the OGL I'm the first place, to cement D&D as the number one RPG by encouraging network externalities. Playing Tale of the Valiant or any other D&D variant absolutely serves to improve Hasbro's market position.
Broadly, yes.

But in the specifics, if I'm pissed off at WotC but still want to play D&D 5E . . . I can do that without ever giving another cent to WotC. I can play Tales of the Valiant, or Level Up, or Fateforge. I can supplement those games with tons of third-party support from the many publishers putting out content for 5E. I don't ever have to purchase a product from WotC, or licensed from WotC, ever again.

In this scenario, might I relent at some point, give in, and eventually start purchasing official D&D books again? Sure, perhaps. It's all the same game, so it would be easy. But I might not, I certainly don't have to in order to continue playing the game.

If I'm the DM, but my players are just fine with continuing to use the official books, is that a problem? Not for me, no. I can boycott WotC as a personal decision, my players are their own people who will make their own decisions. I guess I could demand, "No WotC!" at my table, but . . . that might make it hard to find folks to play with me, unless my gaming group is already of a like mind. Not only can I continue to play non-WotC D&D, but I can play the game with folks who aren't of the same mind and continue to use the official books. This would be easier if I'm the DM, as another DM who is not familiar with Level Up or the other rules sets might be uncomfortable with allowing them into their game.

This is just a scenario, I'm not actually one of those gamers so upset at WotC that I will be boycotting the official D&D line. I just picked up the new Deck of Many Things and I'm loving it! But if WotC has a 2024 similar to their 2023, who knows? I might just get irritated enough to switch over to one of the alt-D&D rules sets. There will be even more to choose from by the end of this year!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Maybe that was malicious on Hasbro's part. Maybe they didn't think of that. Either way, it doesn't matter if you are running a company. Be prepared for every eventuality. Do right by your employees by being prepared. It's part of your job. The world will not be fair to you. Sometimes the reasons are justified. Sometimes the reasons are that you are dealing with a complete scumbag. Either way, don't complain.
Of course it matters. Running a company doesn't somehow exonerate you from ethical responsibilities, nor does it mean you have to quietly take the actions of those who harm you lying down. We'll complain as much as we feel we need to, and work to protect ourselves in whatever ethical way we deem necessary, thanks very much.

"Don't complain." Jeez. Thank goodness we weren't asking for permission.

(And in the post credit sting? The complaining worked; WotC changed course.)

And no. Business owners aren't bad people if they don't have plans for what to do if another party arbitrarily decides to renege on their contract.
Bad people? There is no need to inject hyperbole into this discussion. I'm saying that you take on the responsibility of employing others, you take on the responsibility of getting in front of problems that affect your business. It's just the ethical thing to do. If there is a rent increase on the property you run your business on... do you immediately pass that rent increase on to your employees by dropping their salaries? I hope not! Ideally, you take responsibility and see if there is another aspect of your business you can adjust so that your employees don't take the impact. You might take action against those who initiated the rent increase if there is something nefarious behind it, absolutely, but that's something completely different.
If a producer rents a theater to put on a theatrical production, they're not a bad person if they don't book a second theater in case the owner of the first one decides to renege on their contract. That's just silly. (And where would it end? Because maybe both the first and second theater owners might attempt to dissolve their contracts, so the product would need to book a third theater, ad infinitum.)
Not what I said. I said on the off chance that happens, be nimble. When a problem comes up, be on top of it. You're responsible for the livelihoods of others.
At this point, what you're saying is so divorced from reality that I have to wonder if you're trolling or engaged in some kind of bit.
Wow. I'm sure you're a better person than this comment makes you appear. I'm going to chalk this up to an emotional attachment to this argument.
I see a double standard emerging.
No, you don't. Well, you might see it, but it isn't actually there.
On the one hand, you imply that third-party publishers are bad people (or at least not "actively being good [people]") if they enter into a contract with WotC in good faith, abide by the terms of that contract, and expect WotC to do the same. They should be prepared in case WotC acts in bad faith, and if they're not, it's on them.
No, I did not imply that. Nor did I say that directly.
On the other hand, you keep asking us to look at things from the point of view of WotC and put their motivation and actions in the best possible light. If they acted in bad faither, well... The deal was unfair! Of course, they wanted to renegotiate! Wouldn't anyone?
Well, yes, objectively, anyone would. Really.
First of all, the theory that WotC saw the deal as unfair, or felt that they were unfairly saddled with it, is something that people who decided to defend WotC came up with back in late 2022 or early 2023, presumably in an attempt to garner sympathy for them (which is what I believe you to be doing here). To the best of my knowledge, WotC has never claimed that they attempted to revoke the OGL because they felt it was unfair.
Of course they saw it as unfair! They purchased a product, and because they weren't paying attention, the OGL was released. The OGL was actually good for the hobby, and good for their business; it was extremely short-sighted of them to rail against it. That doesn't change the fact that the OGL could be perceived to someone who hasn't done their homework that, as an owner of a property, they have given away the farm. 'I paid a lot of money for this, but other people can use it for free??!!??'
But, yeah, it's possible that they felt it was unfair.
There you go.
However, it's also possible that they saw a bunch of successful OGL-based crowdfunding campaigns and told their lawyers to find a way to let them wet their beaks. There are also other possible motivations, such as the ones that they actually did put forward and virtually no one bought, like not wanting third parties to make D&D NFTs. I see no reason to privilege the theory that WotC felt aggrieved by the contract's unfairness over any of those other potential motivations.
Okay. You are circling back to my central point. You have entered the world of business. You will encounter other businesses that will make decisions that may be ethically suspect. Or they are not objectively suspect, but you perceive those decisions as such because they negatively impact your business and you get very upset. Humans are very egocentric that way.

If you are a good and ethical person, and you are running a business, you will deal with these situations and protect your people.

What you also might and should do is to take action to prevent this sort of behaviour in the future. What you should absolutely not do though, is move in that direction without understanding what actually happened. With all due respect, that's the mistake I think you are making. You look at your side, and how you feel it hurt you, and think about the pain it caused you, and let that colour your view of what has actually happened. Look at the bigger picture. The motivations of both sides. If you don't do that, you don't have an accurate understanding of what drove the situation you are examining. Which means that the solution you are pushing for is just going to result in more problems for others down the road.
Second, I don't think their motivation matters as much as what they ended up doing. Which was not, as you have claimed, renegotiating the OGL. What they actually did was attempt to revoke the existing OGL and replace it with a completely different license, one that was open in name only, and they planned to do it in an underhanded way. If things had gone as intended, the vast majority of existing licensees would have learned about the new license just seven business days before they were expected to agree to it and the old one was revoked.
WotC acted in a way that made sense to those who made that (misguided IMO) decision. The way they went about it was pretty terrible to boot (for the reasons that you mentioned). These are things that misguided people do. Or maybe they are ethically corrupt. Whatever the reason, it doesn't matter. If you have started a business, you have to be prepared to deal with these situations.
Of course it matters. Running a company doesn't somehow exonerate you from ethical responsibilities, nor does it mean you have to quietly take the actions of those who harm you lying down. We'll complain as much as we feel we need to, and work to protect ourselves in whatever ethical way we deem necessary, thanks very much.

"Don't complain." Jeez. Thank goodness we weren't asking for permission.

(And in the post credit sting? The complaining worked; WotC changed course.)
I think you're making the same error in reading my argument that @The Scythian is. I'm not saying 'don't complain' or 'don't take action to change an unjust situation'. I'm saying do that, but: a) fully understand the situation first and b) whether what's happened is right or wrong, whether a) fixes it or not, take care of the people you are responsible for.

Aldarc

Legend
Yes, there are folks doing exactly that. Ditching D&D 5E altogether because they are annoyed at Hasbro.
I tend to see this as a good thing done for the wrong reasons, if only because I believe that more people should be encourage to try games outside of the D&D 5e sphere or even D&D-adjacent sphere. I think that there are a lot of games that these people would love or potentially be happier playing if they gave those games a shot and the time of day.

My insufficient adoration of 5E existed well before my severe distaste for WotC was built by them. So far for the entirety of 5E I've actually made just three purchases. WotC's actions have really only caused me to decide to continue that dearth of consumer support, not initiate it.

TheSword

Legend
Um, it kind of did. Paizo sold out of eight months worth of their PH in a mere two weeks. Savage Worlds was also sold out because of the OGL, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few other companies did as well.
Wasn’t that because people thought it was no longer going to be available and therefore wanted to get it before it went out of print - no doubt so it could be sold at outrageously inflated prices on eBay!

I’m not sure it was because all of a sudden people gave up 5e in disgust.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
At this point, what you're saying is so divorced from reality that I have to wonder if you're trolling or engaged in some kind of bit.

Mod note:

You were doing great, until you go to this bit, and made it personal.

It is also a bit weird, given that you are opening with how folks don't always assume bad faith, but then you accuse someone of bad faith. That really doesn't do much for your overall argument.

So, maybe next time, take a pass on the personal commentary, hm?

mamba

Legend
Of course they saw it as unfair! They purchased a product, and because they weren't paying attention, the OGL was released.
sorry, that might have worked for 4e and not releasing an SRD then. No one held a gun to their head, forcing them to release one for 5e. By then they knew what the OGL was and how it worked, and even if they did not, your excuse does not apply

mamba

Legend
Wasn’t that because people thought it was no longer going to be available and therefore wanted to get it before it went out of print
no, it was people leaving 5e, that has been widely reported and also would not explain the uptick for Savage World and others

Remathilis

Legend
Wasn’t that because people thought it was no longer going to be available and therefore wanted to get it before it went out of print - no doubt so it could be sold at outrageously inflated prices on eBay!

I’m not sure it was because all of a sudden people gave up 5e in disgust.
I'm sure there was a lot of visceral reaction to the actions. I think though there was a non-zero amount though that bought it with the full intention of quitting 5e only to get a solid idea of the very different play style and immediately returned to some semblance of 5e. By then, the dust had settled.

My point was even people who wanted to leave WotC's orbit didn't all escape 5e's, let alone coalesce on some alternative system. WotC's loss was nobody in particular's gain. I don't think ORC did what Paizo wanted either (get the major 3pp to flock to its ecosystem, the 5.1 CC cut the legs off that). All the people who want non 5e-based RPGs to flourish have a major uphill battle: the OGL debacle didn't even shake enough 3pp's from 5e to its nearest competition, it's not going to move them to niche independent systems.

Remove ads