• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Domain powers and Arcane Spells

Mordane76

First Post
I'm not seeing it anywhere, so I might simply be missing it...

A character has cleric and wizard levels. If you have the Knowledge Domain (+1 CL on Div spells), do arcane divination spells you cast (as a wizard) receive the +1 CL?

Falchieyan

First Post
I would guess so, though I'm not entirely certain.

I'm also a bit unclear as to whether a wizard's prohibited school prevents him or her from casting divine spells of that descriptor.

Thanee

First Post
I doubt it's really written down somewhere (maaaybe in the FAQ).

But I would only count it for Cleric spells.

Bye
Thanee

Iku Rex

Explorer
Mordane76 said:
If you have the Knowledge Domain (+1 CL on Div spells), do arcane divination spells you cast (as a wizard) receive the +1 CL?
Sure. Why wouldn't they? Divination spells are divination spells.

This is confirmed in the official FAQ:
3.5 FAQ said:
Does the +1 caster level bonus from such domains as
Good, Knowledge, and Law apply to all spells (of the
appropriate school, subschool, or descriptor), to divine
spells, or only to cleric spells?

Unless the domain’s granted power specifically states that
it applies only to a limited range of spells, the bonus applies to
all spells the cleric casts, regardless of their source

Mordane76

First Post
The character in question is an NPC I'm crafting for a session in the future, so it the question was not raised by a player. I was leaning in Thanee's direction, but with the statement from the FAQ, I would tend to agree with Iku, unless someone knows of a more recently printed WotC source that contradicts that paragraph.

Kurashu

First Post
Falchieyan said:
I'm also a bit unclear as to whether a wizard's prohibited school prevents him or her from casting divine spells of that descriptor.

Specializing only affects granted to the character through his (effective) wizard levels.

If a character has a level in Wizard and takes Conjuration and Necromancy as forbidden schools, and then takes a level in cleric he can cast Cure Light Wounds and Inflict Light Wounds.

starwed

First Post
Unless the domain’s granted power specifically states that
it applies only to a limited range of spells, the bonus applies to
all spells the cleric casts, regardless of their source.
This seems contradictory to the idea that a wizard's specialization should only effect arcane spells (which, I think, is also brought up in the FAQ.)

Darklone

Kurashu said:
Specializing only affects granted to the character through his (effective) wizard levels.

If a character has a level in Wizard and takes Conjuration and Necromancy as forbidden schools, and then takes a level in cleric he can cast Cure Light Wounds and Inflict Light Wounds.
Same for a wiz/sor. Somewhere in the old FAQ as well.

Sejs

First Post
Mordane76 said:
I'm not seeing it anywhere, so I might simply be missing it...

A character has cleric and wizard levels. If you have the Knowledge Domain (+1 CL on Div spells), do arcane divination spells you cast (as a wizard) receive the +1 CL?

It's not specified.

The default answer therefor is yes, the bonus to caster level applies to any spells the character casts.

Many people feel that the spirit rather than the letter means that the adjustment should only apply to cleric spells the character casts.

Talk with your DM.

Remove ads