• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who 60th Anniversary Specials [[SPOILERS!!]]

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think this is the undermining cherry on the undermining cake. Bringing Tennant back was obviously necessary to breathe life back into the show before launching Gatwa, but it does smack of problematics.

If they bring back the Master for the Gatwa run I'd love if they went back to the "monster master" before casting some cool actor in the role.
What problematics?

Ondath

Hero
Is it too much to hope that the Tennant fork is eventually killed off and regenerates into the Valeyard?
This would be the only way with which I'd be okay with this, but I don't think any sane writer wants to truly tackle the Valeyard. It's got more Continuity Snarl to deal with than it's worth.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Valeyard has missed the boat — it was supposed to be between 12 and 13. I don’t think you can squeeze 14 in as him.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Technically the line goes "Somewhere between the Doctor's twelth and final incarnation", IIRC - you could interpret that as being anywhere between 12 and the ones that come after him.
I guess. Technically. It requires us to believe they knew that he’d have more than 13 incarnations which is a stretch. But I suppose… technically they never said they didn’t know that.

Ondath

Hero
I guess. Technically. It requires us to believe they knew that he’d have more than 13 incarnations which is a stretch. But I suppose… technically they never said they didn’t know that.
Oh yeah, my interpretation is definitely a stretch! But we are trying to salvage a runaway line from a story arc that aired 37 years ago and belongs to an era of the show that is grealy maligned for its writing, so any workable version of the Valeyard will definitely take a loooot of creative liberties with the concept.

Remove ads