• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spoilers Doctor Who 2024 (spoilers)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Is anyone HERE saying anything along those lines? All I see are people saying they don't like it because of how silly it has gotten.
Those people should have watched the old stuff. Doctor Who has not “gotten” silly. It’s always been silly. It’s a children’s show. The old show had the TARDIS dragging stars around and inflatable plastic chairs that ate people.

Those people should have watched the old stuff. Doctor Who has not “gotten” silly. It’s always been silly. It’s a children’s show. The old show had the TARDIS dragging stars around and inflatable plastic chairs that ate people.
And people have different lines in the sand...and last i checked they are allowed to say "it's just too much"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Anyone who bitches that this is bad Doctor Who needs to shut up now.

Mod Note:
It is a wonder you got the idea that you get to tell folks to "shut up" on this site. Because you don't.

You've earned yourself several reports on your aggressive posts in this thread. That's a problem.

If you feel someone's posts are out of line, then you are welcome to report them, and allow moderators to handle it. But otherwise, you will leave room for dissenting opinions. Pushing folks around isn't acceptable. I hope that's clear.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
And people have different lines in the sand...and last i checked they are allowed to say "it's just too much"
Yes, of course. But if your line in the sand is based on the idea that "the old show was never this silly," then you're simply, factually wrong. Doctor Who has always been silly. It's a children's show. The show has not become more silly, certain members of the audience have become decidedly less so. Important distinction to make.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

It has always/often been silly. It has been a long time since it has been a children's show, though.

I don't mind silly. I watch silly stuff with regularity. But "Space Babies" was just bad. Puerile stuff.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It has always/often been silly. It has been a long time since it has been a children's show, though.

I don't mind silly. I watch silly stuff with regularity. But "Space Babies" was just bad. Puerile stuff.
You're fine to think that, of course. I thought it was fun.

Now, I wouldn't want it to be like that EVERY episode (or even very many of them) but here-and-there? Fun.

It's like when Star Trek Strange New Worlds did that "Fairy Tale" episode - I think it was the worst episode of that series so far. I'm still glad that it exists, though, because it means that the show isn't afraid to experiment and have some fun with the concepts. Somewhere down the road, that boldness will likely lead to a very good episode.

If all episodes are "safe", usually they don't have any that shine.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Now, I wouldn't want it to be like that EVERY episode (or even very many of them) but here-and-there? Fun.

If all episodes are "safe", usually they don't have any that shshine.

Of the 5 Gatwa episodes so far the first 4 have been at the silly end - two featuring babies and 3 with musical numbers.

It's what made Boom seem like a breath of fresh air. -> or just an indicator that I prefer that more grounded, high stakes story.

I did note that the Doctor referred to himself as a "complex space-time event" another reference to Matt Smith era, which talks about how the Doctors mere existence warps reality - so with that, Ruby's snow and the Toymakers threat, it looks like reality warping is going to be a major theme again this season, let's just hope we get more Boom than Snot-monsters

MarkB

Legend
I did note that the Doctor referred to himself as a "complex space-time event" another reference to Matt Smith era
Specifically, it's a reference to another episode penned by Stephen Moffat, so it's hard to say whether it's more attributable to him or RTD.

Remove ads