• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Use the Core Pantheon?

WizarDru

Adventurer
Yes.

Most important deities include: Pelor, Corellon Larenthan, Iuz, Tharizdun, Vecna, Fharlanghan, Wee Jas, Beory, Heironeous and Ralishaz. A few others more tangentially, including Kord as comic relief. :)

All other things being equal, I use the core deities unless using a specific setting (such as the Valus).

Ziggy

First Post
My campaign is FR, and thus uses the FR pantheon (most prominent are Tempus, Lathander, Sune, Kelemvor, Bane, Cyric, Dumathoin, Clangeddin and Anubis).

In another homebrew we use the core pantheon. Most prominent are Pelor, Heironeous and Hextor.

.Ziggy

der_kluge

Adventurer
Mostly no. I use the gods from Bluffside - simple, generic (for the most part). I did have a reference to Moradin, when the PCs discovered an ancient dwarven hall in a lost land. That was it.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I run Dragonlance so no. However I haved used them as generic deities in a couple generic homebrew adventures for one off sessions or short lived campaigns.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Yes, since I'm currently running a Greyhawk game. If I was using a different setting, the answer would be no -- but they make very good placeholders.

-The Gneech :cool:

Voadam

Legend
Erik Mona said:
Let's call this market research.

Do you use the core pantheon? If so, which gods from it feature prominently in your campaigns?

Thanks,

Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon & Dungeon

Yes, but not exclusively.

Featured prominently:

St. Cuthbert

Gruumsh

Iuz

Lolth

Xan Yae

I forget the name of the Unicorn one, but she got used a bunch years ago (one of the few direct deity manifestations in my old campaign).

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Yes. I decided to use them in my homebrew after really thinking about what I would get out of creating my own pantheon rather than reworking the core one slightly. For me, it just wasn't worth the extra effort for what was going to be minimal gain. Gods that featured prominently were St. Cuthbert, Pelor, Wee Jas, and Kord (I was running the Adventure Path, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with the selection there...).

Nick

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
I don't use (or like) Greyhawk. While I still could, I don't use the core gods, because I find them too simplistic and to have nothing in common with an actual religion (or set of religions). The Eberron take on religion is much closer to the type of thing I like.

The real thing the core pantheon has going for it (not considering Complete Divine) is it has so few gods. That is cool. One of the things so hard to swallow about Forgotten Realms is the presense of so many divinities.

I like the idea of one set of gods with differing names and religions among difffering cultures. In my campaign, that's the way it works.

Talmun

First Post
I have run two Greyhawk campaigns over the last 4 years, and the core pantheon figures prominently.

I've used worshipers or clerics of all the major core deities (save for perhaps Yondalla), and I tend to use St. Cuthbert (The current PC's spend time in Verbobonc), Vecna, Grummsh(sp) and Nerull the most, with the others (including lesser Greyhawk gods) sprinkled in liberally. The clerics in this party worship the ascended PCs from the previous campaign.

and in that game, which went epic/divine, the characters, at various times, met or dealt with: Bahamut, Zagyg, Vecna, Nerull and We Jas. The clerics in that party worshiped Sif and Henali, though.

Mallus

Legend
No.

I only run homebrews. And I love making dieties. Besides, the core material, by its nature, tends to skew toward the broadly applicable and "all-ages".

I have gods/goddesses like The Smouldering Whore of Ur-Imbra and Mr. Three-Legs... not the sort thing you find in the PHB.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads