D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 240 55.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 195 44.8%

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The way the 2014 "Features" play oit in game sem to match up exactly with the UA descriptions? I don't see a practical difference.
Who's game are you talking about here? The only game I can imagine the way the 2014 features being used matching what's in the playtest is one in which they aren't used at all because the playtest backgrounds don't say anything about anything that's in the 2014 features.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Who's game are you talking about here? The only game I can imagine the way the 2014 features being used matching what's in the playtest is one in which they aren't used at all because the playtest backgrounds don't say anything about anything that's in the 2014 features.
They seem to me to suggest exactly the same sort of DM consideration...? Not I'm the ham-fisted way the 2014 Backgrounds did, but it fits with layer 5E publications exactly.

I agree, except I don’t think it takes any extra work on the DM’s part other than staying out of the player’s way and saying “yes” when the player stipulates elements of the fiction (NPCs, locations, etc.) related to their feature. The background features carve out an extremely limited area in which the player can make such stipulations, adding to the fiction in a way that supports use of the feature without the DM having to set things up for the player in advance.
The extra work, while simple for some, might require more work for other DMs. If they have poured work into their setting, and it doesn't fit because it wasn't covered in session zero or because it was unforeseen, then it might require a lot of work. Different tables, different games.

2014 Background Features are flawed because they really only work at a "realm" level, as opposed to a worldwide level or larger scope. It really doesn't make sense for a 1st level Folk Hero of Kara Tur, to be known to on the Sword Coast. Or for a cleric of an uncommon god like Kossuth to be able to find succor in even Waterdeep.

Most fantasy realms don't have universal communication or "google-like" public libraries to keep everyone in the know. Most people are ignorant and rely on rumors.

I also don't like the insinuation that Players can roll randomly on the lists of Flaws, Traits, and Bonds, and roll traditionally "evil" or selfish options that they embrace and become jerks. Like "Greed. I will do whatever it takes to become wealthy. (Evil)" and "I turn tail and run when things look bad." These things are terrible suggestions for new players. If I was another player at the table, my character may want to kick that evil/selfish character out of the TEAM if they became a liability. I need people I trust.

I'm fine using the 2014 book for ideas, but I understand that those Background feature formats are flawed and why they might not be used in the 2024 books.

2014 Background Features are flawed because they really only work at a "realm" level, as opposed to a worldwide level or larger scope.
I just don't understand this thinking. A lot of the stuff in the PHB only works at the "realm" level. Does fireball work the same in the Elemental Plane of Water? Magic appears to work quite differently between Eberron and the Forgotten Realms. I mean, it is indicated all throughout the Eberron book. And since everyone keep bringing up Barovia, isn't there a section in there that literally talks about how spells work and look differently, say turn undead or raise dead? (I don't have the book on me, and it has been a while since I've read it.)

mamba

Legend
Magic appears to work quite differently between Eberron and the Forgotten Realms.
If a wizard from the FR finds themselves on Eberron, I expect their magic to work just fine.

No one would have heard of / recognize the folk hero however. The 2014 background features clearly are meant for a local area, they just are not all worded in a way that says so explicitly.

Oofta

Legend
I just don't understand this thinking. A lot of the stuff in the PHB only works at the "realm" level. Does fireball work the same in the Elemental Plane of Water? Magic appears to work quite differently between Eberron and the Forgotten Realms. I mean, it is indicated all throughout the Eberron book. And since everyone keep bringing up Barovia, isn't there a section in there that literally talks about how spells work and look differently, say turn undead or raise dead? (I don't have the book on me, and it has been a while since I've read it.)

It's the same old, same old. That folk hero has to have some supernatural influence that causes commoners who don't have a clue who they are to like them. But they aren't written that way, the folk hero did something cool and the commoners appreciate it.

Round and round and round we go. There are many ways to play the game. If you want background features to always work no matter how illogical, go for it. I prefer a world that such things are more grounded.

If a wizard from the FR finds themselves on Eberron, I expect their magic to work just fine.

No one would have heard of / recognize the folk hero however. The 2014 background features clearly are meant for a local area, they just are not all worded in a way that says so explicitly.
Ok. I guess. But the settings don't make that very clear since Eberron is filled with magic and FR is not. But you are discounting my other examples. Magic doesn't work the same in all planes. For example, spells that affect terrain might not be viable in Limbo. Spells that charm might not be effective in Elysium. Time Stop might work differently in the Feywild. Protection from Good/Evil might be twisted in the Nine Planes of Hell. And on and on.
Those are off the top of my head. There are probably tons of examples out there, especially when you start taking spells and features and contrasting them to the planes. So why should the background feature be any different? The DM can say it doesn't work. That is fine with me. Or they can have it work, but with a caveat or work-a-round. Or they can just have it work. All are good.

It's the same old, same old. That folk hero has to have some supernatural influence that causes commoners who don't have a clue who they are to like them. But they aren't written that way, the folk hero did something cool and the commoners appreciate it.

Round and round and round we go. There are many ways to play the game. If you want background features to always work no matter how illogical, go for it. I prefer a world that such things are more grounded.
I agree with your take. I am just adding that there are workarounds for these features. But in the end, it is DM discretion.

Oofta

Legend
I agree with your take. I am just adding that there are workarounds for these features. But in the end, it is DM discretion.

While I don't personally care for the "always say yes" style, there's nothing wrong with it. The only thing that bugs me is just be up front about it. Don't say "A DM can always..." because, yep, I know I could. I don't because we have different priorities. As DMs we all make decisions about what works best for us and our group.

Remove ads