• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 261 53.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 230 46.8%

Hussar

Legend
Not sure what edition or rule you're reading that has Int give a bonus to weapon use. That you note 2-weapon fighting as a proficiency suggests 2e, as that's not a thing in 1e.

Also, weapon specialization (as opposed to simple proficiency) in Unearthed Arcana is broken as written, a common issue in that book.

Some common patterns do emerge, sure; but that would be the case in the game world as well as warriors talked over what worked best and what didn't and came to some general consensuses. Even so, someone could still choose to be an outlier and, due to background or whatever, decide to specialize in harpoon or something.

Except that you’ll find fifteen magic longswords LONG before you find a magic harpoon. So everyone uses a longsword.

Cookie cutter characters because certain weapons are flat out better than others.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Stop telling me I'm playing the game wrong.
So you telling me I'm unreasonable and that I'm blindly refusing to accept your decision as the correct one because I can come up with justifications--that's perfectly fine and not at all mean-spirited or insulting. But me pointing out an ability isn't going to be used all the time, or suggesting that you ask your players for input is a horrible insult.

Faolyn

(she/her)
except for your criminal either knowing a local thieves guild (perfectly acceptable, and I still maintain the intended use...), or there having to be universe spanning networks of villains that they can tap into to get messages across. Nobility and folk heroes can be recognized by the gleam in their eyes or something, anywhere at all, and so forth...
And yet again, there's not a single thing in that feature that says you know all the thieves' guilds. It literally says you can get runners to send a message to a contact.

mamba

Legend
I hardly think saying "You find a ship" needs worldbuilding. Unless you had previously decided that your world doesn't have ships, of course.
note how that is not one of the examples I used… I never said this is true for all backgrounds and generally keep the sailor out of the discussion that you and @Hriston want to drag in

Do you want to claim that because one background with little worldbuilding impact exists that they all have no impact?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Not sure what edition or rule you're reading that has Int give a bonus to weapon use. That you note 2-weapon fighting as a proficiency suggests 2e, as that's not a thing in 1e.
2e allows you to use bonus languages for proficiency slots if you're using proficiences*. So 9 Intelligence gives you two bonus proficiencies.

*The Complete Fighter's Handbook clarifies this can be weapon as well as non-weapon proficiencies.

Hussar

Legend
2e allows you to use bonus languages for proficiency slots if you're using proficiences*. So 9 Intelligence gives you two bonus proficiencies.

*The Complete Fighter's Handbook clarifies this can be weapon as well as non-weapon proficiencies.
In any case, I've seen FAR more variety between fighters (and fighter adjacent classes like paladins and rangers) in 3e and later D&D than in TSR D&D. Whodathunk that allowing players to pick whatever tickles their fancy and not forcing them into decisions without any ability to change them in the future would lead to wider variety?

Oofta

Legend
So you telling me I'm unreasonable and that I'm blindly refusing to accept your decision as the correct one because I can come up with justifications--that's perfectly fine and not at all mean-spirited or insulting. But me pointing out an ability isn't going to be used all the time, or suggesting that you ask your players for input is a horrible insult.

I'm expressing my opinion on what I want in the games I play whichever side of the Dzm screen I'm sitting on.

You are continually telling people they're doing it wrong if they don't play according to your preferences.

Remove ads