• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DM's Guild license

Igor Mendonça

Explorer
HI!

So, if one independent author publishes a content in the DM's Guild, could another independent author use its content in his own material published in DM's Guild?

Ex: If Arnold publishes a guide to Eberron, and he created his very own NPC (say, a Warforged Bard called Strings), could Brienne publish an adventure using thay same NPC openly?

Or, if Arnold creates an adventure in which Lord of Blades takes the Thorne of Karnn, could Brienne literally use that same event in her own supplements? Could she deliberately continue an adventure created by Arnold without his previous consent?

I'm not asking morall

BlivetWidget

Explorer
HI!

So, if one independent author publishes a content in the DM's Guild, could another independent author use its content in his own material published in DM's Guild?

Ex: If Arnold publishes a guide to Eberron, and he created his very own NPC (say, a Warforged Bard called Strings), could Brienne publish an adventure using thay same NPC openly?

Or, if Arnold creates an adventure in which Lord of Blades takes the Thorne of Karnn, could Brienne literally use that same event in her own supplements? Could she deliberately continue an adventure created by Arnold without his previous consent?

I'm not asking morall
Yes she can, but it is considered best practice to cite her sources. You can read through the FAQ for those best practices and the like, but core of the agreement makes it clear on its own.

As other authors create content for the Dungeon Masters Guild and expand the Forgotten Realms through their titles, you then have access to use that material in turn. Was there a subplot another author didn’t fully explore? A tavern you’d like to re-use in your own adventure? All Dungeon Masters Guild authors contribute to a pool of community content that can be re-used, expanded, and explored by other authors in the Dungeon Masters Guild community.

and further on

As more authors contribute to the DMs Guild’s pool of community content, we do not expect to maintain perfect attribution every time an author re-uses elements originally contributed by another author. Such attributions are not strictly required. However, we highly recommend these best practices for all DMs Guild contributors

Which is followed by a series of recommendations.

Igor Mendonça

Explorer
Another different and quick question, for clarification:

How could I include Eberron's Shifter race in OGL licensed products (not in DM's Guild)?

Let's say I wish to create an independent setting, and create the concept of a half-bestial race.

In a very different situation like that seen in Eberron: they would be rulers and kings, connected to gods, totemic warriors and things like that. "In this world, shifters have meso-american like cultures".

Could I call them "shifters"? Use shifter stats and powers?

dave2008

Legend

How could I include Eberron's Shifter race in OGL licensed products (not in DM's Guild)?

Let's say I wish to create an independent setting, and create the concept of a half-bestial race.

In a very different situation like that seen in Eberron: they would be rulers and kings, connected to gods, totemic warriors and things like that. "In this world, shifters have meso-american like cultures".

If they are not in the OGL / SRD you can't use them outside of the DMsGuild.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Assuming they’re not an SRD somewhere, you’d have to make your own version with your own text.

Remove ads