• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMing a good party scene

solamon77

Explorer
Just as the title states, how do you run a good party scene? And by party, I mean like a celebration, not like a party of adventurers.

ccs

41st lv DM
A few years ago I ran a session where the PCs found themselves involved in an all night bash hosted by a tribe of satyrs.
The longer each character lasted (remained conscious/didn't bail, death wasn't possible), the greater the rewards.

I divided the night into 3 stages - early, mid, & late.
Then I made multiple decks of cards. (I used one of the various MTG card maker programs, some cheap sleeves & about 400 bulk commons)
1 deck had a card for each person (PC or NPC/creature) attending the party.
3 decks were "Things that happen at the party during stage: 1/2/3). Each deck was 100 cards. There were 50-some cards for each, some having more copies than others, & some cards duplicated between decks. Each card represented either something the character drawing the card was participating in, something they could choose to interact with, or something they witnessed, & most had instructions, effects, etc. Some cards required knowing wich other attendees were involved/affected, so that's where the PC/NPC/Creature deck came into play.
Each character got to draw 4 cards per party hour on average. Some cards used up multiple draws.

There were about 4 scripted events (planned encounters) for the session. Everything else was dictated by the card draws....

solamon77

Explorer
That's a really really cool idea. I absolutely love this. I'm going to take it and adapt it for my own use. Thanks for the great reply.

MarkB

Legend
Make the main guests personable and distinct, and introduce them early - both by name, and with a brief scene that illuminates their general character. If at all possible have pictorial references so that the players can keep them straight.

Provide some good reasons why the PCs need to circulate and talk to people. It's very easy for the less talkative players and/or the less socially proficient characters to default to wallflower status if there's no action.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
At most party scenes, the group of adventurers is going to split up - at least one hopes they aren't constantly traveling around as a pack and swarming any other party-goer at the event. When they split up, you've got to jump the focus about between the PCs and the people they are interacting with so that no player is left sitting out of the action for too long. Put on your director's hat and jump from conversation to conversation like a director might in a movie - even mid conversation. It not only allows you to involve the other players, it keeps the anticipation high for returning to a conversation thread left hanging - AND it gives both you and the player involved that thread a little more time to think to come up with your responses or next moves in that encounter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads