• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMG2 Riding Boots, prereq feats, and the CW Cavalier PrC

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
The riding boots from DMG2 state that they grant the effects of the Ride-By Attack feat even if you lack the prerequisite. Then, in the next sentence, it states that, if you have the Spirited Charge feat, any charge attack multipliers increase by 1 after applying that feat.

So, does this mean that, while wearing the boots, you essentially have the Ride-By Attack feat? If so, a Paladin going for the Cavalier PrC could skip that feat on his way to fulfilling the prereqs. Is this right?

If it isn't right, then that means that you don't actually ahve the Ride-By Attack feat. This means that, in order to fully use the boots and the charge multiplier power, you would still need the Ride-By Attack feat. That would render the Ride-By Attack benefits of the boots useless, which seems silly.

I guess I'm just stumbling over whether "grant the effects of the Ride-By Attack" feat means you actually have the feat (virtually) and that it can be used as a prereq for another feat or PrC. Thoughts?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kershek said:
I guess I'm just stumbling over whether "grant the effects of the Ride-By Attack" feat means you actually have the feat (virtually) and that it can be used as a prereq for another feat or PrC. Thoughts?

Yeah, but if you take them off, you lose access to any feats for which it's a prerequisite, and the class features and special abilities of any PrC for which it's a requirement (per CW p16).

-Hyp.

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
I got a feeling this Paladin will have athlete's foot :)

I don't see any reason why he'd want to take them off, really, unless they got destroyed.

Alpha Polaris

First Post
brendan candries said:
personal opinion?

being dependant on gear for prereqs should be disallowed.
Disallowed ? Please ! What fun would that be ? Your player grants you an easy way of taking away all its hard-earned prestige class benefits, and you would just disallow it ? I would rejoice at the sight of a player naive enough to do just that.

Edit, for an interesting twist:
Dungeon Master's Guide 2 said:
The riding boots activate automatically when the wearer mounts a riding animal. They do not function when she's unmounted.

That should mean the Cavalier would not be one while on the ground. That would not mean much (basically, no bonus to courtly knowledge while not riding, and no riding bonus for fast mount checks), but still a less than perfect replacement for the feats, with plenty of opportunity for stealing to boot (well, hum... sorry). The funniest part is about the special mount: while he's not riding, his Cavalier levels do not stack for the purpose of determining the characteristics of the mount, so it basically loses HD and special abilities. Ok, ok, go ahead, nix it :)

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
No, you don't have the feat. You have the effects of the feat, not the same thing.

The requirement is NOT that you be able to do all the thing in the Ride-By Attck feat, it's that you actually HAVE the ride-by attack feat.

You'd qualify even if for some reason you could no longer use the feat - like you use, say, boots of extraordinary walking that give you cool walking powers but, in return, prevent you from riding and are cursed so that you can't get rid of them. Okay, that's far-fetched, but it's only to make a point.

Some prerequisites are based on what you can do (can cast divine spells, for example), some are based on what feats you take (like having to have the Ride-By Attack feat) and some may be based on something else, but that's not important to make the point here.

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Artoomis said:
No, you don't have the feat. You have the effects of the feat, not the same thing.

The requirement is NOT that you be able to do all the thing in the Ride-By Attck feat, it's that you actually HAVE the ride-by attack feat.

You'd qualify even if for some reason you could no longer use the feat - like you use, say, boots of extraordinary walking that give you cool walking powers but, in return, prevent you from riding and are cursed so that you can't get rid of them. Okay, that's far-fetched, but it's only to make a point.

Some prerequisites are based on what you can do (can cast divine spells, for example), some are based on what feats you take (like having to have the Ride-By Attack feat) and some may be based on something else, but that's not important to make the point here.
So, how about the situation with Spirited Charge? Does that mean that I have to have the Ride-By Attack feat anyways to get Spirited Charge? If so, why bother writing in Ride-By Attack feat benefits when you can't use the other power of the boots, which is the critical multiplier increase while using Spirited Charge?

Oates

First Post
Kershek said:
So, how about the situation with Spirited Charge? Does that mean that I have to have the Ride-By Attack feat anyways to get Spirited Charge? If so, why bother writing in Ride-By Attack feat benefits when you can't use the other power of the boots, which is the critical multiplier increase while using Spirited Charge?

If you are building up to this PrC then why do you not have the feats to begin with....

The boots allow Ride-By attack.....IF you have spirited charge then you get an additional bonus.

I like items such as these... gives use of a feat. If you have the feat tree then you get an extra bonus....cool :D

Artoomis

First Post
Kershek said:

Correct - you need the Ride-By Attack feat to get Spirited Charge. The extra multiplier is all you get from the boots, then, I think, but that's plenty significant in and of itself.

It's not the only item that changes what you get based on circumstances - monk's belt does, too , I think, and there are others, I am sure.

Remove ads