• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Genie rocks!

ThatJimGuy

Explorer
:D I couldn't be happier with a program.

Download the demo and go through the tutorials and you quickly learn how easy this is.

I can play large battles quickly.

There are very few things I found missing, but I posted them on the message board and Janik, the creator, was very good at getting back to me and talking about putting the ideas into the program.

The tracking system is the best thing. I often forget when a spell or other effect ends. The program takes care of all that (and the calculations) for me. I love not having to look up stuff all the time. I mean, I don't mind "winging it" when it comes to roleplaying, but when it comes to rules, I would rather become much more concrete (else I might as well just play Fudge. (Which is a good little game in it's own right)

Check it!

www.dmgenie.com

vic20

Fool
ThatJimGuy said:
The tracking system is the best thing. I often forget when a spell or other effect ends. The program takes care of all that (and the calculations) for me.

I went to the website and looked at the screenshots and features lists, and couldn't find anything that looked like it managed spell/effect time management.

As this feature is something I am interested in, could you elaborate on how this works in DM Genie?

-Vic20

--> Another genuine hand-crafted sig <--

ladyofdragons

First Post
vic - DMGenie includes a full-featured 60 day evaluation period. my suggestion is to download it and see for yourself. It does do spell effects, and if the nature of how it handles them is understandable to you you'll see its quite a worthwhile program.

I've got the demo now and I must say I'm suitably impressed with the program. It's the first in-game tool that has a remote chance of being able to handle my Fighter 5/Wizard 5/ Blade Knight 1 (custom prestige class) character with her Asylfeyrund's Armor and her custom sword.

smc

First Post
Re: Re: DM Genie rocks!

vic20 said:

I went to the website and looked at the screenshots and features lists, and couldn't find anything that looked like it managed spell/effect time management.
I think the feature list is somewhat out of date, as the author has been very busy adding new features. There are some pretty great options for managing spell effects....

You can attatch "conditions" to a spell and then assign those conditions to characters when a spell is cast. This condition can have a duration in rounds. You can select from a list of common conditions, and there is a condition editor that lets you create new conditions ...

THere is also a reminder function that can be used for long-term spells and other events. You can set a reminder to trigger after a certain number of minutes/hours/days/weeks. In this case, if there was a condition associated with the reminder, you would simply add and remove it from the appropriate characters.

I would agree with the subject line of the orginal post ... DM Genie does indeed rock quite a bit.

vic20

Fool
ladyofdragons said:
vic - DMGenie includes a full-featured 60 day evaluation period. my suggestion is to download it and see for yourself. It does do spell effects, and if the nature of how it handles them is understandable to you you'll see its quite a worthwhile program.

I've got the demo now and I must say I'm suitably impressed with the program. It's the first in-game tool that has a remote chance of being able to handle my Fighter 5/Wizard 5/ Blade Knight 1 (custom prestige class) character with her Asylfeyrund's Armor and her custom sword.

Good point, ladyofdragons. I've downloaded, and am walking through the demo right now.

Looks pretty nice, though I'm not to the tutorial point where they show how to create Custom Data. It's quite an investment of time to type stuff in; time that could be spent preparing for the game.

I'm sort of waiting to see what direction the eTools patch(es) take as well.

Thanks for the tip, ThatJimGuy! I'm going to give the software a good workout in the next week or so.

-Vic20

* custom sig, handcrafted for this message

Remove ads