• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dispellable spells

Rixshaw

First Post
This should be an easy one but the dm and i disagree. The enemy cast summon monster ? which is a dispellable spell when ever the cast wills it. We had just killed the the spellcaster and the dm had the summoned creatures disappear cause the spellcaster was dead.(which was fine by me because the creatues were flanking party members and it was going to hurt and we were not oing to get exp for them anyways) I think the caster can will them away but just because he was dead was not a reason for them to go. If that is true are there any spells that dispell when the caster dies like in the movies .

Thanks in advance for any help on this

Henrix

Explorer
When a spell has a (D) in their duration, that means that they can be dispelled by the caster, as long as he is in range, as a standard action.
If the spell has a verbal component, like Summon Monster, then it's a command word that has to be spoken.
And my guess is that that wasn't the spellcaster's dying word. ;)

[Edit]
The only spells that end upon the caster's death are those with a duration of concentration.
[/Edit]

Last edited:

Gromm

First Post
Just to reaffirm what Hendrix said.
The summoned monsters would stay until the duration expired or they died.
Spells don't end when the caster dies. Technically if you are flying and get killed, your body is still floating until the duration expires or its dispelled.

Remove ads