• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dire Mace?

Shin Okada

Explorer
IIRC there was a double weapon called Dire Mace in Neverwinter Nights computer RPG. PHB has Dire Flail and Complete Warrior has Double Hammer. But does any WotC 3.5e book actually have Dire Mace?

Tetsubo

First Post
A Dire Mace would also be considerably less SILLY than a Dire Flail as well...

Q: What's the fastest way to hit yourself in the back of the head?

A: Use a Dire Flail...

Shin Okada

Explorer
So Dire Mace is NWN only?

Tetsubo said:
A Dire Mace would also be considerably less SILLY than a Dire Flail as well...

Yeah, that is the main reason why I have interested in Dire Mace. It seems less silly and "believable" comparing to other D&D-made double weapons.

Though half of my soul really loves craziness of Gyrspike. :p

Tetsubo

First Post
Here's a Dire Mace that converts into one VERY large Flail...

Attachments

• doublemace.jpg
    doublemace.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 774

Findlefarb

First Post
Shin Okada said:
Though half of my soul really loves craziness of Gyrspike. :p
I love the Gyrspike.

In my opinion, the Gyrspike is precisely the sort of double weapon that even begins to make sense. Double weapons should have different abilities in the heads, not the same one. My favorite double weapon in the PHB is the urgrosh, just because you've got more utility than an axe or a spear could give you alone. The hooked hammer is good, too, for the same reasons. Double axe, double sword, dire flail? Boring.

Then again, I think that the weapons as demonstrated are silly. The urgrosh shouldn't be wielded as an axe with a spear at the end, but as a spear with an axe at the end. Same thing with the gyrspike. It's not a sword with a flail on the bottom, but a flail with a sword on the bottom.

Of course, this is assuming that any of these "weapons" can actually be wielded in a non-silly manner.

Wilphe

Adventurer
"So, it's a six feet long straight shaft and you can hit people with both ends?"
"Yep"
"And the guy who sold it you said it was called a Dire Mace? Is that right?"
"Yeah"
"And you to have to spend a feat to use it yes?"
"Yeah"
"Dude, that's a quarter staff."

There's a non-double dire mace in the Complete Warrior. 1d12 medium (I think 1d10 small), x2 crit, one-handed weapon. You take a -1 AC penalty on any round you swing it.

Remove ads