• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dice Tray

sheadunne

Explorer
I used to have a wooden dice tray that I used when I gamed at home, but never brought it with me. Recently I've been doing a lot of gaming at a friend's house and needed something to use while away. After searching around I found this . . .

http://www.etsy.com/shop/kdgram11?ref=l2-shopheader-name

I picked one up and have used it during several gaming sessions. It's not too bad.

It comes with 6 d6s matching the color of the tray. The tray is entirely fleece with a velcro strap to close it up (with dice inside if you want). The sides are about an inch high and remain upright without much effort. It needs a surface but sits surprising flat considering that it doesn't have any support (no plastic or hard bottom, just fleece). It takes a second to smooth it out, regardless of the surface, but then stays reasonably flat. I've rolled different dice on it and they all roll well on the surface, which surprised me a little. I thought the wrinkle or two would cause the dice to be lopsided, but there wasn't a roll I couldn't read easily. It does wrinkle when you pick the dice up, so a quick smooth over is helpful. I recommend it for anyone who wants to keep their rolls from bouncing all over the table and doesn't want to lug around a heavy wooded tray.

What's your preference for dice trays? Do you use them? I find they're pretty essential when you have miniatures. How many have had dice fall from the sky and destroy a perfectly good set up? Now if they could just find a way to keep cats from climbing up on the table!

Cheers.

scourger

Explorer
I have a dice tray that I really like. It is a wooden box that opens flat. It started out as a box of wine tools. I took out those items and lined it with adhesive felt. Now, when I get to the gaming table I just set the box down and open the lid. The dice are all on one side and a clear rolling area is the othe side.

The same effect can be had with a backgammon box. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000232ZSA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1380658656&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

This set up replaced a wooden octagonal dice tray with a dice bag. Now I don't have to pack and unpack all that. It's a small thing, but it's the little conveniences that help my gaming. I still have the octagon at home for board games with kids and the dice bags hold plenty of extra dice.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Go to a Micheal's Art & Craft store, look for boxes - they have project boxes, where you can add things like legs, top with knob. You can do some great custom dice boxes.

sheadunne

Explorer
I tried that once. Failure :( probably missing the same skills that make my miniature painting look like a Picasso painting lol Still a good idea though. I recently moved and had to leave behind my custom gaming table so I do need to starting working on Table 2.0. I might start with the accessories at Michaels or AC Moore.

Remove ads