• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Diagonals

Otterscrubber

First Post
Ah but what if one of your players has a 10ft weapon and is attacking on the diagonal. He only wants to be 10 ft away so he gets his AoO when the monster moves up to him, but according to these rules he must be 15ft away. Seems kinda odd to me.

Personally I only use the 5, 10, 5, 10 ft rule when calculating range for spells or ranged attacks. For melee fights i allow this first square to be only 5 ft. Solves a few headaches for me.

kreynolds

First Post
IceBear said:
I think I saw Caliban post that as to how he handles it.

IceBear

Sigma said:
That's funny, I remember seeing the same thing, but can't think of where I saw it either. Maybe sage advice.

I think it's in the latest FAQ. If not, here it is...

There have been many reports on the boards about what you said regarding reach weapons. I wanted to get the real answer from you, not passed down through all those people. If a medium sized character is using a long spear does he threaten the second diagonal square from him?

Yes and no.

If he doesn't I would think he could still AoO anyone closing from the diagonal.

That's correct.

I just need a clarification.

The next FAQ will include:

Okay, so I can't reach 15 feet on the diagonal with my 10-foot reach weapon. Does that mean I don't get attacks of opportunity against foes who approach me on the diagonal?
If you're a Medium-sized character armed with a reach weapon you do not threaten a foe 2 diagonals (15 feet away), but if a foe moves up to attack you on the diagonal you still get an attack of opportunity against that foe before the foe gets adjacent to you (at some point the approaching foe had to be 10 feet away and threatened by you). Note, however, that if the foe moves adjacent to you with a 5-foot step, you do not get an attack of opportunity, even if the foe takes that step along a diagonal.

Skip Williams

IceBear

Explorer
Yeah, but I'm sure Caliban stated that this was how he handled it too, a LONG time ago (I think in the days pre-kreynolds :))

IceBear

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Thanks for the sage post. It's interesting that you can't ever actually attack someone if you have a reach weapon and they stay on your diagonals. If they are two diagonals away, then they are too far. But if you step towards them, then they are too close!

If I were to construct the defenses of a keep, I'd build all the hallways narrow and on the diagonal so it would be impossible for those glaive-wielding invaders to attack anyone inside! ;)

Last edited:

Belares

First Post
Would we all be having this discussion if the map/board/whatever rotated yet your figured stayed in the same spot.

Hmmm just wondering.

Remove ads