(DC 10 + one-half caster level + caster's Wisdom modifier)

Uller

Adventurer
Ridley's Cohort said:
But it makes sense for Poison.

It could be argued that it makes sense for MOST spells to scale up with casters...Hold Person cast by a 10th level cleric should be harder to resist than one cast by a 3rd level one, right? We don't see a "Greater Hold Person"...well I guess ther is Hold Monster...but you get the point.

Of course, doing that would make spell casters all the more potent...so I wouldn't touch that one with a 10' pole(which, if I were a 1e character, I'd probably be carrying around with me for some strange reason...).

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Uller said:

It could be argued that it makes sense for MOST spells to scale up with casters...Hold Person cast by a 10th level cleric should be harder to resist than one cast by a 3rd level one, right? We don't see a "Greater Hold Person"...well I guess ther is Hold Monster...but you get the point.

Good point.

That system would make sense if spell power were carefully tuned to level. D&D does not bother to do so and seems to use a planned obsolescence model for lower level spells. I guess you can use Heighten if you want to squeeze the DC higher.

Lord Ben

First Post
An Aasimar PC in my campaign started at 18 wis, 16 levels later he had 30 wisdom and spell focus enchantment. So the DC still went up higher.

Remove ads