(DC 10 + one-half caster level + caster's Wisdom modifier)

Corran

Explorer
Quite a number of spells (Poison for example) use the following text when describing the saving throw:

I can only interpret this to mean that the DC gets better as the caster gets more levels.

Example: 8th level Druid (wis 18) vs 18th level Druid (still wis 18) casting Poison; DC 18 vs DC 23.

The above is how I see it should be, but I find it gets almost always interpreted as the standard way to calculate a DC (10 + spell level + ability modifier).

Page 150 of the PHB is silent on the matter.

Someone please tell me I'm not going crazy. ;-)

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The save is for the poison itself, so it is calculated differantly. More powerful spellcasters cause more potent poison. If that does not help, think of it as an exception to the rule.

Crothian

First Post
Ya, most spells ar DC 10 + spell level + attribute modifier. THe poison is the exception, although it does work like the monster special abilities in the MM.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Corran said:
Quite a number of spells (Poison for example) use the following text when describing the saving throw:

Er... "quite a number"...? Which spells beside Poison use that text? I can't recall any.

I can only interpret this to mean that the DC gets better as the caster gets more levels.

Example: 8th level Druid (wis 18) vs 18th level Druid (still wis 18) casting Poison; DC 18 vs DC 23.

Yup, the Poison spell automatically has it's DC increase with your level. There are a few oddball spells that use a non-standard method of calculating their Save DC.

The above is how I see it should be, but I find it gets almost always interpreted as the standard way to calculate a DC (10 + spell level + ability modifier).

Page 150 of the PHB is silent on the matter.

Someone please tell me I'm not going crazy. ;-)

Your not crazy, that's the way Poison works. Page 150 just describes the standard method of determining the Save DC. Poison is just non-standard, and it's easy for people to miss that.

Corran

Explorer
As I stated above, I interpret it that way, but the majority of player's / dm's out there do not.

It's good to see that in this day and age the minority is right once again. ;-)

Corran

Explorer
Re: Re: (DC 10 + one-half caster level + caster's Wisdom modifier)

Caliban said:

Er... "quite a number"...? Which spells beside Poison use that text? I can't recall any.

Yeah, eh, that is, erm...

I did a pretty thorough search (all WotC spells except for those in MoF as I don't have those as searchable text) and what have I found...

Em... only Kiss of Death (MotW, page 89) has the same formula.

... funny that, I could have sworn a lot more spells use this formula, I must have been thinking of something else.

Ah well. ;-)

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Corran said:
As I stated above, I interpret it that way, but the majority of player's / dm's out there do not.

It's good to see that in this day and age the minority is right once again. ;-)

A majority of gamers are doing this spell wrong? I don't think so. The DCs in the spell description and the majority of gamers I know, read the spell descriptions. I've never seen this spell played wrong. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't think the majority are doing it wrong. Also, don't consider this a rules interpretation, it's spelled out pretty well.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
It also shows up in abilities that are intended to scale. Stunning Fist, Ki Shout.

It is rather rare among spells. But it makes sense for Poison. If it didn't scale an interesting attack spell would become useless at high levels, forcing DMs to create a Greater Poison spell.

I like the poisons and ability damage effects. They rarely kill, but boy do they cause wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I even think it is amusing when my own PC gets hit. Feels more dnagerous than shaving a few easily replaced HPs.

Uller

Adventurer
Crothian said:

A majority of gamers are doing this spell wrong? I don't think so. The DCs in the spell description and the majority of gamers I know, read the spell descriptions. I've never seen this spell played wrong. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't think the majority are doing it wrong. Also, don't consider this a rules interpretation, it's spelled out pretty well.

If one of my players(or NPCs) cast this spell, I'd probably have gone with the standard DC caclulation if it weren't for this thread(which is why I read the rules boards!). Yes, we read the spell descriptions, but in game, we typically only skim them for aspects of the spell we don't (assume) we already know.

If my PC cast this spell, I'd probably have caught it because I have all the spells on 3X5 cards and get out the appropriate card whenever I am going to cast a spell and read it while I wait for my turn...

Remove ads