• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dan's Diminutive d20

Delta

First Post
Hey, I just posted my take on a minimal revision of the d20 System, check it out here: http://www.superdan.net/dimd20/ (Also attached below for convenience.) Comments welcome. Major features include:
  • Generic Classes: 3 core classes (Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard), with easy-to-remember saves and skills.
  • Limited Levels, Magic, and Feats: Limited to 12 character levels, 5 magic items maximum, and class bonus feats only.
  • Level-Based Skills: No skill points are spent or recorded.
  • Equipment in Brief: Your core adventuring needs, with a unique measurement system that makes encumbrance a snap.
  • Monsters Redux: All the major monsters, reduced to fit in just 3 pages.

Attachments

• DansDimD20.pdf
    202.8 KB · Views: 129

Angellis_ater

First Post
Since this does not include the rules needed to play but rather, as you state, assumes familiarity with D20, it is essentially a house rules document/spreadsheat?

I'd be more interested in seeing exactly how dimunitive you CAN make the game and have it be complete?

JustKim

First Post
The coinage thing is nutty. 12 copper to a silver, 20 silver to a gold? So when that platemail is listed as 600 pence, it's really um.. let me get some scratch paper for this.. 2 gold, 10 silver? Breaking the base 10 tradition does not lend itself to simplicity I'm afraid. Same problem with stone versus pounds.

JustKim

First Post
I understand what it's based on. It needlessly complicates the coinage system when the idea is to simplify and streamline the rules. Hence, it is nutty.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Why no Clerics? I'm not critiquing, in fact, I find this interesting. It's got possibility for ganking some ideas. I was just wondering as to your reasons for no clerics, and how you'd deal with healing / HP recovery?

RFisher

Explorer
I understand what it's based on. It needlessly complicates the coinage system when the idea is to simplify and streamline the rules. Hence, it is nutty.

I don’t know about Delta, but I think I have something of a complexity limit. When I simplify rules, it allows more complexity in flavor. Sometimes I consider money more flavor than rules.

Delta

First Post
Why no Clerics? I'm not critiquing, in fact, I find this interesting. It's got possibility for ganking some ideas. I was just wondering as to your reasons for no clerics, and how you'd deal with healing / HP recovery?

Good question. I think I'm going to get this a lot -- and I should. It was the hardest thing for me to personally let go of, and it took me months (if not years) to come to terms with it. Clerics have always, always been part of D&D.

Item I. Largely I want to return some stuff back to OD&D, like (a) number of classes (3), and (b) amount of available divine magic/healing (very little). Particularly for (b) I finally realized that I just had to abort clerics entirely -- they're just way, way too potent in the d20 System, and no amount of tinkering I attempted could fix that. (Domains; spontaneous healing; huge spell list; access to every spell; good blasting spells).

Item II. I never (in 30 years) got clerics to work right in my campaign worldbuilding. I won't elaborate too much on that, but you can see more in my blog linked below. Too many clerics, in too many churches, with too many separate faiths to design and track, and with too much magical power in the world. If the OD&D system had been retained (no spells at 1st level) then I might make sense of it, but I remember struggling with it all the way back in the 80's. So, finally taking the jump, I found that my world building work is also miniaturized with this system.

Item III. There's this numerical elegance (maybe OCD on my part) to having 3 classes, 3 nonhuman races (each with one class favored), 3 levels of attack bonus, 3 good saves, and 3 levels of armor/weapon proficiency. Since clerics (a) lacked a core race that favored them, (b) duplicated an attack bonus with rogues, and (c) didn't have one focused good save, the list looks cleanest to me with them gone.

The solution to healing is that you've got to make natural potions of healing (or something) available to PCs for purchase in the campaign. Presumably they'll nurse those, use them when critically needed, and most of the time be using natural healing. That's something that matches what I see in fantasy stories, but I never saw it in D&D, and I missed it.

Getting rid of clerics was really, really (really) tough. In retrospect I'm very happy with it.

Aus_Snow

First Post
If it was called something like magic-user, adept, or spellcaster (as per UA), you could pretty easily have them be like well, the spellcaster (as per UA), funnily enough. Though personally, I wouild allow spells of one type only, at one time. So, if you choose to be a 'Cleric'-type, that's the stuff you get to cast, and that's that. It might disempower 'Clerics'. Oh well. And 'Druids'. Oh well. ;)

At least, this way, you could have all the main powers and abilities from 3e still present and available.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
If it was called something like magic-user, adept, or spellcaster (as per UA), you could pretty easily have them be like well, the spellcaster (as per UA), funnily enough. Though personally, I wouild allow spells of one type only, at one time. So, if you choose to be a 'Cleric'-type, that's the stuff you get to cast, and that's that. It might disempower 'Clerics'. Oh well. And 'Druids'. Oh well. ;)

At least, this way, you could have all the main powers and abilities from 3e still present and available.

I was thinking something like this too, when I read it. Maybe just adding some low level healing spells to the "white college" or something like that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads