D&D 5E D&D Up 35% In 2020 While Virtual Play Rises 86%

In this article from the Los Angeles Times, WotC's Liz Schuh shared a couple of interesting statistics: D&D revenues increased 35% in 2020 over 2019; and online play is up 86% (for obvious reasons).

hero-vtt.png

The LA Times published a similar article a couple of months ago. See my big list of articles about D&D in the meanstream!

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Dang. I mean, I know a lot of this is because of COVID and once people can go back to other activities the increase will likely drop, but that kind of growth at this point in the lifecycle is incredible. Especially considering the year after year increases we've seen since the release of 5E.

Maybe we can stop speculating about 6E coming out any day now? :unsure: On second thought, never mind. I'm sure someone can come up with a reason to show that this will lead to a new edition being released soon. :p

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Dang. I mean, I know a lot of this is because of COVID and once people can go back to other activities the increase will likely drop, but that kind of growth at this point in the lifecycle is incredible. Especially considering the year after year increases we've seen since the release of 5E.

Maybe we can stop speculating about 6E coming out any day now? :unsure: On second thought, never mind. I'm sure someone can come up with a reason to show that this will lead to a new edition being released soon. :p
We’ve been having the exact same conversation every month for like 7 years now. Why would we stop now? ;)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Oddly, I do not see Liz Schuh mentioned in the article, nor anything about D&D revenues increased 35% in 2020 over 2019?

Ah, wrong link in this. This is the correct link:

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.

I'm reminded of things like the Wii and Skyrim.

Sure, the makers could have come out with updates. Or they could just keep the printing press running.

Oofta

Legend
I'm reminded of things like the Wii and Skyrim.

Sure, the makers could have come out with updates. Or they could just keep the printing press running.
Especially in this case when every year since 5E was released sees an increase in growth. Even after that, as long as they can profit from the long tail I'm not sure there will be much change.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year (or even later this year). Will people continue playing and keep thing growing even if at a more modest rate? Will it stagnate? I mean, it's bound to plateau at some point. You can't just grow forever but when you look at entertainment dollars spent there's still potentially plenty of room to grow. D&D may be an 800 pound gorilla of TTRPGs but it's still a speck compared to the rest of the entertainment industry.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases